Thursday, September 18, 2008

Bubble Gum and Bird Poop

Last night I was out walking along the Provo River. I was enjoying the tranquility - listening to the river, which was flowing faster than usual, and breathing in the scents of nature. Oh...and I was chewing bubble gum.

I blew a bubble but wasn't satisfied with the results. I blew another bubble and it was nearly perfect. I had just finished forming this nearly perfect bubble when I walked right into a swarm of gnats - a BIG swarm.

It was a close call but I managed to pop the bubble before it and the gnats made contact. Note to self: keep your gum in your mouth. (Sounds like something my mom would say.)

My close encounter reminded me of another encounter: this one with more traumatic results. In what seems like another life, I was a missionary in NYC. My companion and I spent most of our meager allowance on subway tokens, but one day we decided to splurge. Instead of subway tokens we bought Subway sandwiches.

We didn't have time to eat in the restaurant and so we headed out onto a busy street in Jamaica, Queens. I had taken just one bite of my highly anticipated sandwich when out of nowhere I heard a "PLOP."

I looked down and saw that some stinkin' bird had managed to aim his 'business' right in the middle of my 6" turkey and cheese on wheat, everything but peppers and onions, EXPENSIVE $5.00 sandwich.

I'm still bitter and my companion still laughs.

7 comments:

Karen said...

Speaking of NYC bird poop. Angie Price got a nice treat of poop in her hair. My shoulder got a nice surprise and don't know if you remember Elder Curletto but he got some "love" on his forhead that quickly started flowing downward. Yuck, yuck, yuck. Just have to know who your companion was at the time.

Noelle said...

Fawcett... :) Such memories!!!

Aaron and JaLae said...

Must have been the same bird who used me for target practice in Jackson Heights! I think Pricey was with me at the time too...hum. Conspiracy theory.

Manda Lou said...

Hahaha...I forgot about that one. Funny.

Karen said...

Awe, I just read through you blog and smiled. I sure do miss you! Thanks for sharing your blog with me. :)

Lori said...

i hope that came free of charge! ;)

Feeling Just Right said...

Owwwwwwww! Noooooo! No. Say no. No that didn't happen to a yummm subway sandwich. I get touchy about food. So touchy! Oww.