Thursday, September 18, 2008

Honeysuckle Anyone?

Welcome to my home. (Not my home away from home, that would be the place where I sometimes eat a meal and sleep a few hours.) During the months of March to whenever the snow falls, Linden Nursery is my home.

I joke often about retiring. Today that thought is not such a joke. Let me give you an example of just one of the many things that leaves me wishing for early retirement, or at the very least, a winning lottery ticket.

Several months ago I had a conversation with my brother Ben. This is how it went:

Ben: Noelle, I need you to find some plants for me. I can't find them from my suppliers.

Noelle: Okay, give me the list and I'll see what I can do.

The List: 200 Honeysuckle, 150 Forsythia

Noelle: Ben I found the shrubs. They aren't coming from one of our normal growers so I need to make sure the quantity is correct. Once I order them, they are ours. End of story.

Ben: The numbers are a go.

*** Fast forward a few weeks ***

Ben: Noelle, what did you say you had coming from that grower?

Noelle: The honeysuckle and the forsythia.

Ben: Okay.

*** Fast forward a few weeks ***

Ben: Noelle, remind me AGAIN what you have coming from that grower?

Noelle: (still patient) The honeysuckle and the forsythia.

*** Fast forward a few weeks ***

Ben: Noelle, I found some honeysuckle from a grower, and you have the forsythia right?

Noelle: (not so patient) I have the honeysuckle AND the forsythia.

Ben: Oh right, I forgot.

*** Fast forward a few weeks ***

Ben: We are ready for the plants to ship.

Noelle: Great, I'll get them here.

*** I make the call, I arrange the truck, I get the address for where the plants are going, I call the customer and let him know the ship date, and I tell Ben it's taken care of.

The 200 Honeysuckle will be delivered to BYU tomorrow - coming straight from Oregon. Everything is taken care of and I am feeling pretty good about life. Until.....

Today we got a shipment of plants from a regular grower, and I was checking it in when all of a sudden I realized that my guys were unloading not 10, not 20, but 200 HONEYSUCKLE!!!

I made a call to Ben (he's out of town) and said something about him being in BIG TROUBLE. "Why?" he wants to know.

Noelle: Ben, I told you over and over again that I ordered the honeysuckle.

Ben: No you didn't. You only ordered the forsythia.

I reminded him of our conversations...the many that we had concerning this dumb plant, and his comment was:

"Hmmm...I guess what you said didn't stick." Hmmm...I guess not.

As I said earlier, Honeysuckle anyone?

6 comments:

Aaron and JaLae said...

You have no idea how hard that made me laugh. I love Ben but I love you more!
p.s. sign me up for a honeysuckle if it will help my backyard look like that photo.

Noelle said...

I'm sure some day it will make me laugh too. :)

Brynn said...

Watch out people. This is false advertising. This nursery doesn't even have any honeysuckle. Don't waste your time going to get some.

Noelle said...

Cute Brynn, very cute.

Lori said...

lol. you and your stories. i love it. :)

Feeling Just Right said...

Hahaha! see why i read you? i love this!! What did you guys do to all the honeysuckle?!!

:D :D

p.s. i think you can spend the day with Jason. I'll just do with re-runs.

p.p.s. hi Jason! you're welcome :)