Wednesday, September 17, 2008

My Happy Place

My Happy Place: The jungle villages of Guatemala. It was fairly recently, just last winter, that I discovered that my happiest place so far was in Guatemala. There were several factors that played into this becoming my happiest place.

* The jungles of Guatemala are BEAUTIFUL! And besides being beautiful, they are peaceful and serene and they leave me feeling as if I have just walked into what I imagine heaven will be.

* My trips to Guatemala have been because of humanitarian service. I am my best self when I am involved in these humanitarian projects. I find a part of myself on these trips to Latin America - a part that is absent here, a part that is left behind when I come home.

* On these humanitarian trips I meet some of the best people I will ever know, people who are working together to better someone else's life, and people who will be friends for life.

About a month ago two of my dearest friends, who have been the heart and soul of our humanitarian efforts in Guatemala, were killed in a plane crash. They were just 15 minutes away from once again rendering the service they have given their lives for.

Their death touched that part of me that was left behind in Guatemala, and recovering from that hasn't been easy.

I'm not sure now whether there will be other opportunities for me to go to my happiest of places. However, I am sure that I will be blessed with other happy places, and I am sure that my dear friends are in the very happiest place of all...doing what they lived and died to do - serving others.

12 comments:

Aaron and JaLae said...

Welcome to the world of Blogging. Might I say that you are looking especially beautiful in this photo...no wonder it is your happy place! Wish I could find a place like that...

Sandra said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love meeting new bloggy friends.

I am sure that your friends are still rendering humanitarian aid, just in different way now. And I am sorry for their loss here.

Carrie said...

I love it girl! I am so glad you are bloging. You are awesome.

David G. Woolley said...

Noelle:

Or do we spell it noelly? javier would have laughed at that. And Walfred would have defended your real name.

So My Happy Place begins. This is great. I am officially going to put your blog on my favorites list. Now if I could just get you to answer your phone......

And another thing. Is there anyway you can give me special privledges and take away that goofy letter word verification box. I hate those. I always get them wrong. Sometimes I can't figure out if its a T or an I or a weird J. And then they are all rolly polly. Whoever designed word verification was a psychophant!

Talk to you soon my dear Noelle.


Dave Woolley

Mashell Lungren said...

That was beautiful! You are such a good writer. I can echo exactly what you said and found that you echo my exact thoughts about Javier and Walfred as well. I wish I could copy your words to my blog, as my thoughts.

Thanks for inviting me to your blog. I will visit often!

~Hugs

Manda Lou said...

...you made me cry hermana...

KT said...

What a great photo of you! Whoever took it did a fabulous job. I am honored to have been with you in your happy place.

Lilet said...

Welcome to the world of blogging! Jake and I look forward to seeing what is going on in your life. That's a very nice picture!

Noelle said...

Dave,

Just for you I went in and got rid of the 'goofy letter word verification box.'

And I can't answer a phone that doesn't ring.

Now that you're re-famous I know you don't have time for us little people.

Pinky - Rinky said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lori said...

noelle, i LOVE reading your blog! you have stories, experiences, humor, wit, wisdom, joy, love, and a beautiful way of expressing all of it. you amaze me.

Feeling Just Right said...

Imagine my desperation. I went back to your earliest post!

I'm so sorry about the friends. I've been there and know how that feels. BUT they are in a better place- isn't that what you said Latter Day Saints believe in? Hmm. Good.

Now, i'm thinking, you should take Jason to happy place too- it'll become happier!