Wednesday, October 15, 2008

You Have an Hour and a Half...

Have you ever, in your entire life, gone into a restaurant and been told by the hostess, "You have an hour and a half to be done. If you're going to take longer than that we won't be able to seat you"? Seriously, that happened to me this past weekend.

I went to dinner with a friend Friday night. We went early to avoid the crowd - or so we thought. At 6:30 pm I put my name on the waiting list and was told "the wait is about an hour." In most restaurants they tell you the longest possible time, and then seat you before the time is up thus assuring happy customers. With that assumption I figured an hour wasn't that bad of a wait.

While patiently waiting out the hour I met a nice couple who had called to make a reservation for 6:00ish. At 6:30 they were still waiting. At 6:45 they were still waiting. At 7:10 I think they finally got seated. They had a concert to be to at 8:00 pm. I'll bet they didn't get to savor much of their meal.

The conversation I had at 7:30pm with the hostess went something like this:

Me: "Can you tell me how much longer the wait is please?"

Her: "It looks like it will be another half an hour."

Me: "When I came in an hour ago you told me it would be an hour."

Her: "I know, it's just that we're really busy" (said in a somewhat whiny voice)

Me: "I can see you're really busy, and I'm not mad...yet. But I want to make sure that you don't forget that I'm sitting there in the corner, and have been FOR AN HOUR."

Her: "Oh don't worry...you're name really is on the list."

Me: "I would hope that my name is near the very top of that list."

Random guy standing at the counter: Looks at me and gives me this look that says something like 'I feel your pain. If you yell, I'll yell.'

I went to sit back down and about 10 minutes later they called my name. My friend and I stood up to be led to our table. But before we took 5 steps the hostess stopped us and said, "You have an hour and a half to be done. If you're going to take longer than that we won't be able to seat you. We have a reservation for ..." I can't remember the exact time but what I wanted to say was "Since when do you take your reservations seriously?"

What I did say was this: "Well, if you're capable of speeding up your service, we'll be done in an hour and a half." The hostess said something else about our time limit, and I said again, "We can only be as fast as your service is." You know how restaurants are. They bring you your drinks and then you wait 20 years before they take your order. You order and then you're dead from starvation by the time they bring you the meal. (I'm not dramatic at all.)

Neither my friend nor I paid much attention to the time but when the waiter asked us if we would like dessert I said, "I'm not sure...do we have time?" Do you want to know his response??? "Oh...I'm not sure. Let me check on that for you." A few minutes later someone else came to the table and said, "You have time still for dessert. What would you like?" We did order the dessert and then about half way through it we started getting the evil eye.

They were setting tables all around us for a big group, and we were clearly in their way. However, our waiter had disappeared and we didn't have our bill. The evil eyes intensified and still no check. How can we keep our end of the deal if they don't keep theirs? I figured at that point they owed us our meal for free. It's the least they could have done. We finally got the check, paid the bill, and rolled our eyes as we walked out the door.

26 comments:

Aaron and JaLae said...

I'd write a letter to managment. Seriously! Maybe it will get you free meal...just so long as you eat it in the time alotted.

Pray tell...what was the restaraunt?

David G. Woolley said...

You absolutely must tell us the name of the restaurant. We want to know. Name and city. Now!

Karen said...

I don't think I would EVER go into that restaurant again. I suggest sending your post to the management. BTW, let us know what the name of the restaurant is so that I am diligent about not going there!

David G. Woolley said...

Noelle? Name of the Place? Are you there?

And in other questions: what is a good price for winter pansies. A full platt of them (ha, a platt is one of those plastic things that holds lots of flowers and it is also, drum roll, an apellido...:)

Would I be able to get a platt of pansies for $10.00? $12.00? $14.00?

Noelle said...

Biaggis....I don't know how to spell it....but it's Italian and I won't go there again.

Noelle said...

Dave, it's a FLAT not a PLATT...but it was a good try! And you might could get them for $15...We sell ours for $19.00 for a jumbo flat. But I'd give you a good deal if you need some.

Brynn said...

Service with a smile! I hope you left a huge tip. They went way out of their way to serve you.

I will make sure that I never go there and you really should write a letter to the manager. If I was there with Mark, I am sure that he would intentionally stay for a long time.

David G. Woolley said...

If I went to a place with a name like that I'd never forgive myself. There is a reason those chains are popular. You always know there is going to be a table, some decent food and some nice folks. Down with Biggies Italian Dive. Go Olive Garden. Where you're family. Go Macaroni Grill. Where you're Italian. Go Cafe Rio. Where you're in heaven.

Now for the important question. How much for a jumbo Platt of Pansies. I will need about 8-10 platts.

David G. Woolley said...

And, how many plants per jumbo platt are there? I need to figure out the best price. I am, after all, a comparison shopper....

And I would never go to a place called Biggies. What were you thinking? That's like bailing out on the summit of Timp because of a little lightning bolt. Biggies Italian Food and Timp. Both Metaphors for mindlessness, weakness, and lack of support for corporate America.

Now get me that price quote before I put in something ugly like turf and forget this gardening gig.

Noelle said...

Dave -

You should know that my sisters aren't huge fans of you right now. They've read your comments about the Timp hike and well - let's just say they're not as forgiving as I am about people dogging on them.

About the pansies...we could do $12.00 for them. There are 36 plants per flat. I'm guessing that by the weekend we'll run out so if you want them let me know and I'll pull them.

Noelle said...

Now...for all of you who don't care about pansies and penny pinching, let me say this. I printed my post and put it in the mail today, with a note to the manager suggesting that they do something about their customer service.

David G. Woolley said...

I need ten platts. Do you have orange? Do you have yellow? Do you have blue? Five orange platts. Four yellow platts. One blue or platt.

How late are you open tonight?

And tell your sisters I'm not trying to impress, flatter, or win their approval. A whimp is a whimp by any other name. Benjmin Franklin would have worn a paper bag over his head if he knew...

David G. Woolley said...

And my mom's neighbor needs two platts. 33 percent yellow. 33 percent orange. 25 percent blue. 14 percent purple. You figure that out from 12 six-packs in two platts.

And tell your sisters I also DO NOT KNOW THEM, so it doesn't really matter if they're fans or not. By my calculations there are more people currently living on earth who are not fans than those who are. Tell them to enjoy the very large crowd...

Noelle said...

To all who care to know:

Dave's not as big a brat as he might come across in his comments. He's actually a nice guy who plants flowers for his mom, and her neighbor. He goes to Guatemala to do humanitarian stuff, he teaches kids how to play soccer. There might be more, but that's all I know. OH...he is a world-famous author too...if you haven't heard of him, you need to do more reading. ;)

Aaron and JaLae said...

David G. Wooley...will you be my friend?

Freakin' hilarious. We could be
e-BFF's.

David G. Woolley said...

Sorry Jalae:

You don't exist. When I click on your blogger name-link I get a little note that says: This blogger has choosen not to share their profile publicly. Which means you are a non-person. You are not real. I can't be friends with an non-entity. Unlock your blogger profile and we'll talk.

David G. Woolley

David G. Woolley said...

And another thing Jalae:

What the heck is an e-BFF'er?

Editor's Note: David G. Woolley, by asking you a question, does not necessarily contrue you to be a friend or a real person. He was heard early today saying "Tell that women with the funny "J" name to unlock her profile and then we can talk friendship." This comment does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the "Because Nice Matter's Blog", Noelle, the gardening humanitarian blogger, or Google. All rights reserved. Copyright 2008. ISBN No. 2568933. Library of Congress catalogue number 7 million and 3.

Tia said...

David, can I be your friend if I don't have a blog?

Noelle said...

Dave, meet JaLae. She is in fact a very real live person...one of my very favorite people in fact. We were mission companions once upon a time.

JaLae, meet Dave. Dave is afraid of snakes. Really.

David G. Woolley said...

Dear Aunt Tia:

Absolutely not. Not only do you not have a blog, you've blocked access to your profile. How can I be friends with a non-person? Unblock your profile and then we'll talk.

David

David G. Woolley said...

Mission companions are real people? Where is the online profile?

I don't fear snakes. Only the siltering, roiling, boiling worm-like things that live at the bottom of the earthen latrenes in Guatemala. Yuck. I nearly fell in. They have a mezmorizing effect. You lose your balance and then who knows if you're going to come out of there alive. I think we woke them up late at night and made them very, very mad. Do worms shreek?

Tia said...

How does one go about unblocking a profile?

Noelle said...

Dave,

You forgot to mention the plastic snakes that happen to show up in your sleeping bag. You're afraid of those too. Don't deny it, I heard the shreak.

I'm glad my blog could help facilitate the beginning of new friendships. Just a warning though to Tia and JaLae: Dave really isn't as funny as you think he is...AND he'll steal your jolly ranchers if you're not careful.

Aaron and JaLae said...

I think that Mr. Woolley...my non-ebff...must be on a CIA Watch List or something. Thus the blocked access.

p.s. I have no idea what an E-BFF is but I read other peeps blogs and they have them...so I want one. When in Rome...do as the Romans!

Mashell Lungren said...

That is classic!!! I am getting all fired up just reading it.

I seriously love reading your blog. I never know what I am going to get. Keep 'em coming!

Abraham and Sara said...

AWFUL!