Friday, February 6, 2009

Clarification


WALLY DOES NOT = THE DENTIST
(For those who read the comments on my blog, this will make more sense)

I promised a post about what the love of Wally has to do with anything. Well...it doesn't, not really. It's just a saying I like to use. It's perfect for when you want to throw your hands up in the air.

Before I say anything about Wally, let me say this: My grandma had Alzheimer's for a number of years before she died. For those who have known someone with this disease, you'll understand when I say you can either choose to laugh or to cry. While I did both, I preferred to laugh...and I did... when she wanted me to lock the toilet so the chickens couldn't get in, or when she told my brother to sit down and act like a lady. If you're going to make the most of bad situations, you have to find the humor.

And that brings me to Wally. Sigh...poor Wally. Wally (a nickname) was an elder in my mission. He told us in a zone meeting that he had a mental illness. We weren't sure if we believed him, because he was the type of person who would joke about such a thing. After he stopped taking his medication we found out he was telling the truth.

Without his medication Wally went kind of crazy. His companion did the best he could to keep Wally under control until our mission president got back (he was visiting the elders in Bermuda, because Bermuda was a part of our mission. Don't get me started on why sisters couldn't serve in Bermuda...). Well one day Wally's companion called my companion and me (my comp. was "Mr. Thompson and Me") and begged for help. He was at his wits end with Wally and needed some help.

We had an impromptu zone meeting and took Wally bowling and then to lunch. I remember Wally had on several layers of clothes and a winter hat (although it wasn't that cold). When we asked Wally what he wanted for lunch he took his hat off and pulled a smashed loaf of bread out of his hat. "I brought lunch. You never know when you're going to need it."

Wally ended up in the mental ward of a hospital in Queens and had to stay there until his dad came to get him. We visited Wally in the hospital and it was incredibly sad. My companion and I came up with "For the love of Wally" in memory of our friend, and as a way to lighten the heaviness of the situation.

And with that, I'm taking a poll. A simple yes or no will do. Do you want to know the final result of what goes into the dentist's Valentine's Day package? (Why I think you care about this stuff is beyond me...just humor me.)

7 comments:

Amy said...

Yes. But I can't stop there. Yes yes YES! In fact, I'm dying to know! Please tell me. I long with every fiber of my being...

OK really I'm just curious. Also I like to pry into other people's lives. So, yes, please share.

KT said...

I'd love to hear what you decide to give the dentist. Uno cards?

Kim Garrett said...

I do, I do...that's a YES

Sandra said...

Yes!

David G. Woolley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David G. Woolley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mr. Thompson and Me said...

You forgot some of my favorite parts of the "For The Love Of Wally" story...

Like the fact my poor little District Leader called when Wally was convinced that he was a horse...who needed his back scratched...and washed...and massaged...while he was in the shower. He started "pawing" the wally and tore down tiles. That's when my District Leader called for us to take over...

So we as responsible Sister Trainers...took him bowling and then to McDonalds...along with your Albanian companion (previous blog entry) and my greenie who was fresh off the boat from the MTC. Not our best idea. He was dressed in a trench coat...with a stuffed beaver sitting on his shoulder...and a loaf of bread under his hat. It was in McDonald's that Wally became the BECAME "the beaver"...

Or standing in the Psych Ward of Jamaica Hosptial (Queens) with my greenie who was tramatized and scared to death because there was a thug pacing the foyer next to us trying to figure out ways to bust out "his lady"..who had beat up his wife. Bullets threatened to fly at any moment...

Or looking through the big window into the Psych Ward where we saw Wally flippin' out in a big room with about 50 other people who were flippin' out. Remember the woman who was looking back at us through the window...thinking it was a mirror...as she shaved her face with the back of a comb?

Yeah - I say "for the love of Wally" a lot.

In my opinion, we earned the right.

Through him I learned one of life's biggest lessons: If you don't sleep for 72 hours...your technically and legally insane.