Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Babbling

Are you familiar with the song "Where Have All The Flowers Gone?" Well, if you are or aren't, that's not what this post is about. I just want to know where logic went. What happened to common sense? Thankfully, I still have logic. I can prove it. Last night I took a portion of a practice GRE test (just for fun). I passed the logic section with flying colors!

Customer #1 who had no logic:

"This tag says 'plant perennial in full sun'. Does that mean I can't plant it in the morning when it's shady?"

Customer #2 who had no logic:

"This tag says that these strawberries can tolerate wet, heavy soil. I DON'T HAVE wet, heavy soil. (Caps added to imply the volume of her voice.) Where can I find some strawberries that can be planted in well-drained soil?"

But really, logic isn't what this post is about either. I just wanted to share...

Last night my dad and I went on our first hike of the season and it was delightful. We took it a little slow because of Dad's recent back surgery. (That's what we're telling Mom, because if she knew the truth she would ground us both from hiking. The doctor hasn't officially given Dad the okay to hike.)

Anyway...the part we're not telling Mom is that we went off the trail for a while. (Dad likes to follow the deer trails. Never mind the fact that they are straight up and we have to grab the Rabbit Brush to pull us up the mountain.) This early in the season I don't mind going off the trail. Later in the season, when there are sure to be ticks lurking about, I complain a bit more loudly when Dad says, "Let's see where this takes us", because that usually means under and through oak brush and other tick infested shrubbery.

While we were hiking we planned our hike schedule for the season. Yes, we have a hike schedule. It's the first time since Dad has been home from his mission (almost 2 years) that he is able to hike, and we're going to take advantage of it...because who knows how long we have before he and Mom go off and leave us for another mission.

Anyway...(I like that word) here's the hike schedule: (And you are more than welcome to join us.)

March-July - hike around here to get Dad's back muscles into shape, with one hike to the top of Mt. Nebo.

July - Take a backpacking trip to Red Castle in the Uintah Mountains.

August - Hike Timp

September - Hike around here some more

October - Rim to rim of the Grand Canyon (in a day, because who wants to carry a pack?)

December or January - fly to Mexico and hike Popocateptl (a volcano near Puebla) - this one is a bit tentative. Every time Dad plans to hike Popo it erupts. Here's hoping this is the year!

Have I mentioned that I MUCH PREFER hiking to a gym?

I'm rambling I know, but let me say this: Last night as we reached our goal destination, the 'G' on the side of the mountain above Pl. Grove, the sun was starting to set and the lights were coming on all over the valley. It was beautiful and it made my heart happy.

The End.

6 comments:

Sandra said...

Would you believe that I have lived here for 16 1/2 years and never been up to the "G"? My kids have all been- Numerous times. Maybe I should remedy that situation?

David G. Woolley said...

Here's to a happy heart!

Tiff said...

I can't wait!

:)

reedless said...

I'm tired just reading this. I've got a G.C. rim-to-rim story for you, call me and I'll share. (it's worth it, trust me)

Noelle said...

Sandra, you SHOULD hike the 'G'. But I'm warning you, the first part is STEEP and you'll not like it. No one does. :)

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

I guess I don't have an excuse for not getting on the treadmill tonight....