Monday, March 9, 2009

Put Your Party Hats On!

Today is a day of celebration!!! I'm so excited about all of the festivities that are taking place! And because I love all of you and want you to share in my excitement, I'm going to let you in on what is happening today!

At sundown today PURIM begins! Isn't that wonderful??? For those few who might not know what Purim is I'll tell you. PURIM is the most festive of Jewish holidays, a time of prizes, noisemakers, costumes and treats. The Festival of Purim commemorates a major victory over oppression and is recounted in the Megillah, the scroll of the story of Esther. Purim takes place on the fourteenth and fifteenth days of Adar, the twelfth month of the Jewish calendar.

Let's be honest, don't we all need a break from oppression? I was wondering how I was going to make it through work today, but now because of this cause to celebrate, the day won't last long enough!

Oh...and one more GREAT things. Read this! Did you know that Purim is one of the most joyous holidays in the Jewish religion? So joyous, in fact, that the rabbis have actually commanded adults to get drunk on the holiday of Purim.

"But Bishop, the rabbi said that it was okay!" I'm still trying to decide if that would fly.

AND IF THIS ISN'T ENOUGH FOR YOU...

Today is also CANBERRA DAY! Canberra Day commemorates the official birth of the federal capital of Australia . On march 12th.1913 the foundation stone was laid on the Capitol Hill and the Govenor-General's wife announced that the city would be named Canberra." This is how Canberra day originated.

I feel a great connection to this lovely country. After all, that's where my mission president lives, and where my sister-in-law's parents served a mission, AND where my once-upon-a-time true love served his mission. (Obviously that didn't work out, but I have some great pictures of the country!)

And just in case anyone wants to know: (The Australian national anthem)

Australians all let us rejoice, For we are young and free; We've golden soil and wealth for toil, Our home is girt by sea. Our land abounds in Nature's gifts Of beauty rich and rare; In hist'ry's page, let ev'ry stage Advance Australia fair. In joyful strains then let us sing, "Advance Australia Fair." Beneath our radiant Southern Cross We'll toil with hearts and hands; To make this Commonwealth of ours Renowned of all the lands; For those who've come across the seas We've boundless plains to share; With courage let us all combine To Advance Australia fair. In joyful strains then let us sing, "Advance Australia Fair."

You can guess what I'll be singing all day! To a made up tune of course because hey, I'm not that smart!

It's going to be a great day!

3 comments:

Tiff said...

WOW! That is all I have to say.

:)

Brynn said...

Thanks Noelle. Went and got drunk last night. What a fun holiday!

reedless said...

Wow that sounds way better than sack clothe and ashes, or bitter herbs and unleavened bread.