Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Third Wednesday


Remember friends, this is a post about Grandpa. Nothing else.



Grandpa called me one day and said, "I need to go to the dentist."

I called and made him an appointment.

(Grandpa was 92 ish at the time.)

We went to the same office he always went to.

In fact, it was the same office I always went to...until my dentist retired.

The new dentist was very nice to Grandpa.

(A fact Grandpa repeated over and over again for the next few days.)

* * * * *

A few days later Grandpa called and said he needed to go to the store.

We made a list of what he needed:

Milk

Root Beer

Potato Chips

Hersheys Chocolate Bars

Soup

I mentioned that perhaps we should stock up on toilet paper as well...oh...and he was getting low on tooth paste.

"I don't need any toothpaste."

"Do you have it somewhere I don't know about?" I asked.

"No...I stopped brushing my teeth a few days ago."

Long pause while I try to come up with something to say...

"Why?"

"I'm afraid that all of my teeth will fall out. You know that dentist did a lot of stuff in my mouth and I just don't want to make things worse."

"Grandpa, you need to brush your teeth."

"But what if my teeth fall out?"

"Grandpa, this is one of those times you just have to be obedient and do what I say."

As he's chuckling he says, "Okay, I'll be obedient."

* * * * *

10:00 pm - I call Grandpa.

"Did you brush your teeth?"

"No."

"Grandpa! BRUSH YOUR TEETH!"

"Okay, I'll do it before I go to bed."

"Do you promise?"

"I promise."

And he did.

Raising a grandpa can be hard work!

3 comments:

Leslie said...

You seriously crack me up! As do all your stories about your Grandpa - he sounds like he would have been such a great guy to know.

Brynn said...

Sounds just like my kids. You're right. Raising a grandpa must have been a lot of work.

Platt Lucky 7 said...

I love Wednesdays!