Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Camp McCoy

After my grandpa died I was cleaning out his house. In a box stuffed in a corner of the basement I found stacks and stacks of letters - letters that Grandpa had written to Grandma while he was in Germany during the war. I have put most of the letters in the computer now, and hope to get them bound in book form for my mom and her sister.

For Grandpa Wednesday I am posting a letter Grandpa wrote to Grandma before he was shipped to Germany.

Consider it a love letter, in its simplest form.

* * * * *

Camp McCoy, Wis.
February 22, 1944

Dearest Vic,

I have about 10 minutes before lights out and I can’t think of a better way to spend it than writing you a note. I received another letter from you today. Boy they sure are pep to me.

You know, I feel a little tonight like you must have felt when you wrote that letter. Gee, it would be swell to see you tonight. I love you so much. We, you and me, have only got one thing to do, and that is make the best of it and get out of everything all we can. We know each other’s feelings I am sure. I know that makes things much easier.

We have been on a little hike today. Two hours steady marching with one 10-minute break. The only part about it that wasn’t so pleasant was the fact that it was snowing, but that wasn’t very bad. We were dressed for it. You know it started raining last night and until this afternoon, then it started to snow and we have 2 or 3 inches and it’s still coming. Anyway that covers up the mud.

They took us over to the P.X. again tonight for ½ hour. It was pretty good. I had to get a few things for inspection Saturday. They make you throw away some junk and then you have to buy more than ever. It sure is funny.

I haven’t weighed me but I don’t think I have lost any weight, so I guess it must be ok. They tell us not to go telling anyone how tuff it is, and how hard they are on us, because our looks don’t back up our story. Maybe that’s true, but I still think it’s hard to get adjusted.

Well honey, you want to keep your chin up and always keep busy. You don’t have to worry about me not keeping busy here. That is the only thing to keep one’s mind on the right track. I think I had better sign off now and get some shuteye. Boy, I’m sure ready for that bed every night and I’m not alone. They all are.

Good night Dear. If I dream it will be about you. At least I can before I go to sleep.
I always do.
Your Lyn

4 comments:

Tia said...

Once again, you made me cry. I love Grandpa Wednesday's.

Amy said...

Do you think in 20-a-hundred years someone's gonna read my stupid e-mails to my husband and think they are the sweetest thing ever?

Cuz I doubt he was thinking that when he wrote it, but he's just so sweet!

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

Guess I better start writing to Mr. Thompson. Looks like I've found a new hobby after all.

Thanks!

(although I really liked the geneology idea. I laughed for 10 minues over that comment. Man- I sure like you!)

Manda said...

Awe...he's cute :)