Tuesday, May 5, 2009

It Is Cinco de Mayo After All

My favorite movie is An Affair To Remember...the older version with Carey Grant and Deborah Kerr. It's not my favorite movie because of the whole "I'll meet you at the top of the Empire States Building in six months" scene. It's my favorite movie because of the woman who plays Carey Grant's grandmother.

Do you remember that scene? They take a boat and arrive at a quaint little villa. The grandmother is enchanting and delightful and ________ (you come up with the next word). I have a soft spot for grandmothers. And do you remember how Carey Grant gave Deborah Kerr his grandmother's shawl after she passed away?

Now...remember that I lived in Mexico for a while? I did. I loved every moment of that experience...except for when I ate food I shouldn't have. I loved the family I lived with: four little girls, one great mom, and a dad I always called 'Pain In The Neck' in my journal. I laughed a lot last night as I read through those journal pages.

The four little girls had one amazing grandmother...and I adored her. Her home could have been the villa on the island, and she could have stepped rather easily into the role of Carey Grant's grandmother. "Aubelita" was a class act, and I loved spending time with her. She spoke perfect English and we spent hours together. I often found myself walking down the cobblestone road to her home (yes a cobblestone road, quaint no?).

One afternoon it was just the two of us. We spent an entire afternoon sipping lemonade and sitting on the patio enjoying the birds and the breeze. When the sun set she brought me a shawl to wear, and we sat in pleasant silence until it was time for me to leave. I've always thought of that day as my "An Affair To Remember Day."

I was incredibly sad to say goodbye to her at the end of my stay in Mexico. A couple of years ago I went back to visit the family I lived with. Before I even stopped at their house I walked that cobblestone road to Abuelita's home. Her maid answered the door and told me to please wait. When Abuelita finally came to the door she was in a wheelchair. She looked up at me and squinted for a minute and then said, "Noelle! You came back to us!" She stood to give me a long hug, and as we sat on her patio, once again sipping lemonade, I felt as if I had come home.

6 comments:

Dominguez Family said...

That was really nice.

Manda said...

I've never heard that story before...it was nice. I loved it!

David G. Woolley said...

Muy bueno.

Brynn said...

Did you know that your blog traps me in? I can't ever back arrow out. I have to type in a new address to get out. What did you do?

David G. Woolley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David G. Woolley said...

It traps me too. But not with the arrow jam problem. I'm drawn to your stories. Fixated by their magnetic pull, their gravity. They have a certain density that's irresistable. Like a black hole sucking everything within light years distance into its galaxy crushing abyss from whence no traveler can return.

Maybe you should change the name of your blog to: Noelle's Worm Hole---Because Nice Matters, Even When Crossing the Galaxy in the Snap of the Fingers.

Great new title, huh? I know you'd agree if you ever commented on your blog, but since you are the queen of etiquettlessness, I'm not holding my breath.

Nice background.