Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Once Upon A Time


My mom got married.


After four years of trying to have kids she had three - at the same time.


And then just two years later she had two - at the same time.


And then 18 months later she had another one.


And five years after that she had one more.


I think the nursery rhyme "There Was An Old Woman Who Lived In A Shoe" was written for my mom. Except that she wasn't old. But she did have so many children she didn't know what to do.


For not knowing what to do, my mom was amazing!


She sewed our clothes.


She canned our fruit.


She baked our bread.


She made us run around the house when we had too much energy.


She let us have waffle picnics in the living room.


She cleaned the house.


She supported our dad.


She loved us.


She helped us love each other.


She loved God.


She taught us to love God.


She wrote to all seven of her missionaries - even when three of us were out at the same time.


She ran a business.


She loved her neighbors.


She prayed for her kids.


And then her kids grew up and she went on a mission.


To Brazil.


She learned Portuguese.


She LOVED her missionaries.


She took care of her missionaries.


She loved the members, and they loved her.


She cried when she came home.


She still cries, and it's been two years.


In 20 years from now I know that Mom will still love God.


Mom will still pray for her kids.


Mom will still love her missionaries.


Mom will do anything in the world for her grandkids.


She will still bake bread and can fruit.


And I will still be her biggest fan.


I love you Mom!

5 comments:

Amy said...

I love your mom. And I love that you love her.

Kristie said...

I'm also a big Val fan. I miss laughing with her! She's the best.

Platt Lucky 7 said...

I love your mom as well. She is such an inspiration to me. She has truly helped me out a lot when things on this side go a little nuts.

Manda said...

:) We kinda of have an amazing mom don't we? Thanks for making me cry :p

Tami said...

I love your mom!!!!!! And i also remember my mom potty training you three when the twins were born!! And babysitting you - holy cow- but good experience. :) Your mom has always felt like my second mom, even though she isn't old enough to be my mom - Love you Aunt Val!!!