Friday, June 26, 2009

A Word of Caution

If you come into my place of employment looking for a sub-alpine fir I will show it to you.

I will tell you that it's the one tree in my entire nursery that I won't offer a warranty on.

I will also tell you that at some point, probably sooner rather than later, the tree will die.

If you tell me that you want to plant it IN your house, I will tell you there is no chance I will warranty any tree you might plant IN your house.

(And when you tell me you want to plant it IN your house you won't be referring to a nice houseplant in a pot...you will be referring to actually planting the tree IN your house.)

When you ask me for another suggestion besides a sub-alpine fir I will tell you that I cannot recommend any tree in that situation.

You will leave, and you will be annoyed with me.

Trust me, that's how it will happen.

4 comments:

Manda said...

Someone really wanted to plant a tree IN their house? How in the world were they planning on getting away with that? :o

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

Well...I can see that Mr. Thompson came into the nursery today.

Don't worry - the tree in the house wasn't my idea.

Fun Times With The Chidesters said...

People do that in England all the time. In conservatories. I had a friend in Vermont who had a tree growing in her house. It was some kind of tropical thing, I don't remember what. Maybe banana.

Amy said...

One time Becca looked at me with the same face you probably have on right now because I have an iris in a pot in my living room.

Be patient with us. We're stupid.

Also, will my Lilly (in a pot in my house) come back next year? Or should I throw it away?