Monday, July 20, 2009

Sleepovers

When this is what you see in your living room:



It's pretty much guaranteed that you're not going to get any sleep.

The night went something like this:

(all in loud whispers)

"Noelle..."

"What Kate?"

"Can you make the clock stop clocking?"

"Noelle..."

"Yes Miss Marie?"

"The light on the radio is bright in my eyes. Can you make it go away?"

"Noelle..."

"Kate?"

"I have a fingernail on my toe that hurts me. Can you find the clippers and fix it?"

"Noelle..."

"Yes Gabi?"

"Can you fix the nail on my toe too? It's too long."

"Noelle..."

"Hi Kate, I've missed you."

"I need to go potty."

"Okay you know where it is."

"But I need you to come with me. I'm scared."

"Noelle..."

"Erika, I thought you were asleep."

"I can't sleep. Can we watch another movie?"

And then Gabi mumbles "I just want some peace and quiet."

And then I mumble something about how if you stop talking you might get it.

And then Kate wants to sleep with me on the couch.

And then one of the Moms calls to check on her daughters.

And when the mom finds out her daughters are still awake she drives to my house to fix the situation.

And then when she gets there she takes Gabi home because all Gabi wants is peace and quiet.

And then when Gabi is gone I hear:

"Noelle..."

"Kate, aren't you tired?"

"Noelle, can you come sleep by me now?"

And I do.

And she snuggles into me and grabs onto my arm and doesn't let go until she finally falls asleep.

And the whole time I'm thinking:

"Allie, how in the world did you manage to sleep through this entire scene?"

They woke up at 6:30 am. They were hungry.

I put in a movie and went up to my bed.

I told them not to even think about talking to me until the movie was over.

Except that Allie was still hungry at 7:00.

And then Becca finally appeared on the scene and fixed them breakfast and let me sleep...

For about 20 minutes and then I hear

"Noelle..."




3 comments:

Sandra said...

:)

Reminds me of summer nights sleeping on Grandma's front lawn. Someone almost always ended going inside to sleep because a mountain top gets cold and the cyotes and elk get loud.

Last night I wished I had someone to make my clock stop clocking.

Manda said...

Lol. You're a better aunt than I.

Amy said...

How dang fun! These girls are lucky.