Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Tape Recorders

One night I was getting ready to go to a wedding reception and Grandpa called me, kind of in a panic.

"Noelle, my tape recorder won't work. I can't figure out what's wrong with it. Is there any way you can come and fix it?"

(Remember that his only source of entertainment was listening to tapes.)

"Grandpa I am just on my way to a wedding reception but if I hurry I can run to your house first."

Grandpa thanked me and hung up the phone. I was already late in meeting my friends but I knew Grandpa would have a miserable evening if I couldn't fix his tape player.

When I got to his house Grandpa said, "This time I don't think you're going to be able to fix it. I just don't know what could have happened to it.

We had the play/stop button covered with bright yellow tape so that Grandpa could see it. We had the fast forward and rewind buttons also covered with brightly colored tape. The pause button we left alone. It was at the end of all of the other buttons and Grandpa didn't need the confusion of another button.

In only took me about one second to discover that he had accidentally pushed the pause button.

I unpaused the tape and it started playing.

Grandpa just shook his head and said, "Once again, you're magic." I gave him a hug and ran out the door.

Later that night as I was driving home I called Grandpa as per our routine.

When I said "Hi Grandpa," his response was "Noelle, I've worried about something all night."

"What?" I asked.

"I didn't tell you how nice you looked when you were here. I should have said that before you left."

That man melted my heart.

3 comments:

Amy said...

What a sweet man! I bet you did look nice, AND you rescued him from his tape player. You're a good person.

OzzyFamily said...

That story melted my heart - thanks for sharing.

Manda said...

Yay for Grandpa :)