Thursday, August 27, 2009

Ice Cream On Airplanes

It's either really good for you that I don't sleep, or it's really bad. (Don't tell me if it's bad.) I come up with all sorts of blog posts in the wee hours of the morning, and I store them away for when I have nothing else to say.

Yes there really are times when I have nothing to say.

With that said - want to know my most embarrassing moment? I only share it because it's one of my funniest moments too.

Once I was on a plane coming home from NYC. Becca, Kristie, and I had just spent a few days conducting important business - shopping on Canal Street.

I was busily engaged with writing in my journal (I used to be a very faithful journal writer but then I started this blog) and I wasn't paying much attention to the activity on the plane...until I noticed that the 1st class passengers were being served ice cream sundaes - extremely large ice cream sundaes.

As I sat thinking about the disparity between 1st class and coach, the two airline attendants stopped by my seat and carried on a whispered conversation. I try not to eavesdrop and so I didn't hear a word they said - honestly!

When they parted Mr. Airline Steward walked past me. I reached out and tugged on his jacket. He stopped and I said in my most heartfelt Oliver voice, "Please sir, may I have an ice cream sundae too?"

Well - Mr. Airline Steward went off - in an incredibly loud voice - (he was teasing)


"You're so nosey!"

"You're worse than Mrs. Kravitz from Bewitched!"

"Your neighbors must hate you!"


And so it went - with me turning bright red, laughing so hard I was crying, and the other passengers trying to see what was going on. (Becca and Kristie wanted to be anywhere but next to me.)

When he finally stopped and I could talk I asked, "What are you talking about?"

He said, "Did you not just hear her tell me there were extra sundaes in the back?"

And then I was laughing again. I managed to sputter, "No. I swear I didn't!"

He said all sheepishly, "Really?" Really.

He left. My face returned to it's normal shade, the nosey passengers settled down...

All of a sudden I looked up to see an ice cream sundae being placed on my tray. The steward glared at me and said, "You will eat the whole damn thing!" (But then he winked.)

(Oh...and he said it, not me.)

I did eat the whole thing - while the little kids around me were asking, "Mommy, why did she get ice cream?" and the mommies were saying, "Don't stare. It's rude."

6 comments:

Sandra said...

Love the new header!

Noelle said...

Thanks...I have way too much time on my hands. :)

I took the picture in Coney Island in Brooklyn...

Manda said...

Lol! I love that story. One of my favorites.


And yes, I like your new look...it's very...you :)

Platt Lucky 7 said...

He he he...such a brave girl, and to still eat it in front of small children! :)

trublubyu said...

THAT is so funny!!! i'm glad you got your ice cream.

Amy said...

Just goes to show you......something profound.