Monday, August 31, 2009

I'm Such A Sucker

Really. I am.

I can't say no.

A few minutes ago the phone rang and so I did what any good employee does.

I answered it.

"Good Morning, Linden Nursery."

And I heard this:

"Good Morning Sweetheart."

And inside I cringed because I knew that in a few minutes I was going to agree to buy something we don't need.

Suzie Letsky, originally from Long Island, NY, but now a resident of Florida, lives with her husband, step son, his wife, their two kids, and the kids' two dogs and a turtle. The step son et al will be there for another year at least. Suzie's other son is going to Afghanistan next month. It will be his third and hopefully last time there. Suzie and her step son have birthdays two days apart. They celebrated by going to a local crab place. It was delicious!

Suzie's husband is in law enforcement, as is his ex-wife. They're all friends. Recently the ex-wife waited out a hurricane at Suzie's house because the ex-wife wasn't prepared for the hurricane. But since Suzie didn't cause the divorce she's okay with being friends with the ex-wife. After all, she's raised the step son since he was five.

Do you know that much about the people who sell you stuff? Suzie sells pens, magnets, pocket calenders, greeting cards, and key chains. Until today I had purchased all but the key chains. Anyone want a key chain? I ordered 12 dozen of them. Why 12 dozen? Because that's the smallest amount I can order.

Want to hear my argument? "But Dad, it's a company that employs handicapped people, and the majority of the profits go to them. And Dad, the company does a good thing for these people and I can't not support it." Think that will go over well?

The pens disappeared over time...as I knew they would.

I sent the magnets out one year to all of our customers...but I still have two boxes of them.

I've ordered the greeting cards a couple of times. I send them out at Christmas. The art work on the cards is done by the handicapped employees. I've still got some of the cards. Maybe I 'll send YOU one.

Let's see...the pocket calenders. Well when they arrived we were in the middle of doing some reconstruction work on the office and sadly they got stuck somewhere and weren't found again until ... the next year, when they were no longer usable. I had to throw most of them away. (Don't tell my boss!)

And now we'll have gone full circle when the key chains arrive.

Like I said, anyone want a key chain?

N-O, N-O, N-O...I'll keep practicing.

6 comments:

David G. Woolley said...

This is very surprising. The same girl who can stare down a bull and win without ever brandishing a red cape, has trouble saying no thanks for key chains she's going to throw away.

Wow. I never saw that coming.

Amy said...

Hey! I'm doing a fundraiser for....me. Wanna buy an empty envelope with a $.42 stamp on the outside? It'll only cost you $20....please send donations to.......

Benjamin said...

I will never let you talk to her again.

Tiffany said...

You've got to block Suzie's number. An ounce of prevention is worth a gross of key chains.

I love it.

Sandra said...

Maybe I should just send my kids your way when it comes time for Lehi Roller Mills fundraiser for marching band?

Manda said...

Lol! That's just too funny. So maybe that's where I get my inability to say no...