Wednesday, August 5, 2009

One Of My Favorite Things

The other night I found myself humming the song "My Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music.

I realized as I was humming that some of Maria's favorite things aren't my favorite things.

So while whiskers on kittens did not make my list, this did:

The photo doesn't do the painting justice but it's the best I could do.

My dad and I were in Mexico a few years ago and we were walking through one of my favorite parks.

We passed a man sitting in the park who was just putting the finishing touches on this painting. I asked him how long it would be before he finished and he said, "Come back in one hour."

My dad won the best dad award for the amount of effort he went through to package the painting in such a way that we wouldn't mess up the wet paint but still be able to get it home safely. Good thing the airlines weren't so strict on size requirements for carry-ons!

There is a lot of meaning behind this painting but I've told so many stories lately I thought I would spare you this one.

Ironically, a few years later I was back in Mexico, strolling through the same park, and bought another painting, from the same man.

What can I say, I'm a sucker for wet paint.


1 comment:

Amy said...

That is a beautiful piece.