Sunday, August 9, 2009

Timpanogos In Pictures

The weatherman said that there would be a slight chance of rain from Provo south...

And if you had any morning outside activities planned you would be okay.

I pointed that out to Dad and he said this:

"There will be storms from Provo north - we're taking a big chance.

And the weatherman was talking about golf,
not climbing the nearest lightning rod."

I pointed out that the weatherman had gotten the forecast wrong all day.

We started hiking at 1:40am.


The moon was mostly full...but covered by clouds a good portion of the hike.


The other lights? Headlamps from other hikers.

Lots of other hikers.

Dad said the other hikers were all there to join my support group.

We hiked...

and hiked...

and hiked...

and then at 6:20 in the morning we reached the saddle...not quite the top but close.

Rodger, my friend the runner, Heather, Dad, Ben, and Amanda's legs.

We were just hanging out on a ledge waiting for the sun to make its appearance.


Pre-Sunrise isn't such a bad thing to see.


It was cold and windy and we couldn't get a good picture, but the lights below are Utah Valley.


Poor Manda Lou got a pretty good case of altitude sickness. She made that rocky ridge her home while the rest of us hiked to the summit.

Rodger was our hero. He made hot chocolate and packed it all the way to the top. Thank you Rodger!!! (Travis was ever so happy about the surprise.)

My hands were jealous of Heather's and Dad's gloves.

Dad, Heather, Me, Travis, Ben, Manda, and Rodger
...still just waiting for the sunrise...

At last!



I have a fear of heights...I swallowed that fear many times on this adventure.


Cousin Travis greets the sunrise.

Looking back at the trail from the saddle to the summit.

Just a few of the many who made their way to the summit.

Rodger the lizard.

The view from the summit...amazing isn't it?

I'm just hanging out...on top of the world.

Heather greets the morning.

Ben just wanted to sleep.

Me, Dad, Heather, and Ben...doing our best not to fall of the mountain.

Travis and Ben just relaxing...on a ledge that you can't see.

The worst part of reaching the top?
Having to hike back down.




The never-ending trail.

My lovely sister Heather.

Me on my way back from the toilet.

There really was a toilet.

Not one I would recommend ... except that the trail was full of hikers and it was my only chance for privacy.

Oh...and Mr. Forest Ranger in charge of moving the latrine...it's full.

Just so you know.

(In case you were wondering, my pockets are full of beef jerky and M&Ms..mmm mmm good)

The wildflowers were beautiful.

I asked Travis to name a flower and a guy passing us said, "Just say a name and I'm sure she'll be impressed."

Travis just laughed and said, "You've got the wrong girl for that."


We were tired...we were sore...we were hungry...I was out of water...

We sat down and said, "Please, can't we just stay here forever."

But Heather has kids, and Manda Lou has a boyfriend, and...

Ben said I can't ask him to hike Timp again until next year.

It will take him that long to recover.
































6 comments:

Sandra said...

I would like to make this hike someday. I better do some serious work if I am going to make that a reality, though.

Great pictures! I'm glad you got to go.

Carrie said...

That looks freakin' amazing... I'm joining next year.

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

I think you should quit your job and become a Sherpa of Mount Everest.

My goal is to be in good enough shape to go with you next year! Tell Ben I'll make him look good.

Tiffany said...

Very impressive... Looks hard on the body but good for the soul.

Amy said...

So much prettier than Ben & Heather sleeping! I'm impressed you guys did it! Way to go. :)

Dan said...

I have to say I agree with Mr. Thompson & Me - Timp needs a sherpa - only, don't carry anyone else's backpacks - just carry your camera and promise to take amazing pictures for them!