Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Girl Scout Cookies


One day I stopped in at Grandpa's house on my way home from work. He was standing in the kitchen, and he had a guilty look on his face.

"What have you been eating Grandpa?"

He chuckled and said, "How did you know I was eating something?"

"Well...you've got chocolate all around your mouth," I told him.

He chuckled again and opened his cupboard and pulled out two boxes of Girl Scout cookies.

Each box has two packages of cookies.

"Grandpa! You ate an entire package of cookies???"

"Here," he said, as he practically threw the unopened box at me, "You take these or I'll eat them all today."

He had no self-control. At 93 years old I don't think you need self-control.

A few minutes later the doorbell rang.

Standing at the door were Grandpa's bishop and two young girls.

The bishop said to me, "Oh good, you're here. Your grandpa paid these girls too much money for the cookies and when they tried to tell him that he got confused. They came and got me because they didn't know what else to do."

"How much did he pay them?" I asked.

The bishop handed me a $100 bill and said, "He thought it was a $20." (Remember, Grandpa was mostly blind.)

I got Grandpa's wallet, gave the girls the right amount of money, and thanked them for being honest.

After they left I said, "Those were some expensive cookies Grandpa."

He chuckled some more, wiped his eyes with his hankey, and said, "It would have been worth it."

Whenever I see the Girl Scouts I buy their cookies...Grandpa would want me to.

5 comments:

trublubyu said...

i love this story. how cute is it that the little girls got the bishop?

too bad you don't live close to us- i have 2 little girl scout daughters who will be selling cookies in february.

adrienzgirl said...

It's just not right that you post something about Girl Scout Cookies when we can't run down and pay some cute little Girl Scout or Brownie for a box. I think everyone has been guilty of over indulging on those special little cookies!

You had to just be tickled with your Grandpa giggling about that! Too sweet! Thanks for making me smile today!

rplatt said...

That blog is comment worthy today. How I love that dear sweet man. Thank you for taking me down memory lane once again. I remember that story - Girl scout cookies will never be the same will they.

Mary said...

to adrienzgirl: I have the solution--- it is called food storage. You just have to buy a case at time so you always have some on hand. And if times get tough think of the trading power you will have with those wonderful cookies.

Big Mama Cass said...

What a fantastic story!!!!! it made me tear up! Loved it!!