Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Gnats and Cowboys

Last night I was out riding my bike along the canal. Okay, I was riding my sister's bike. Usually I ride my brother-in-law's bike, but Saturday I ran over a puncture weed and now his bike has a flat tire. I have to remember to buy a new inner tube...so that he can fix it for me. Like how that works?

But...back to the topic.

Last night I was out riding a bike along the canal. The sun was just starting to set and the air was cool; it was a lovely time for a bike ride.

I rode past an old barn that housed some pretty fresh manure. After I wrinkled my nose I thought, "I want to go horse back riding."

I can't remember the last time I went horse back riding........actually, yes I can. Mrs. Thompson and I went riding...kind of. Remember that Mrs. Thompson?

So there I was pedaling away, thinking about who I knew that could take me for a horse ride. I don't know anyone with a horse. Sigh...

All of a sudden, out of nowhere I saw a man, on a horse, riding towards me, and he was holding the reins of another horse. They were going pretty fast and they were kicking up a lot of dust.

The rider had a cowboy hat and boots...he was authentic, and I was in love. Well...probably not in love but I figured it was fate. Here was my one chance to go for a ride. He slowed his horses down to pass me and as he did I opened my mouth, sure that whatever I said would charm him into letting me ride his horse.

It didn't quite work out the way I had planned. Because right as I opened my mouth I rode into a swarm of gnats, and swallowed half of them. And then I was coughing and spitting, and the cowboy was riding off into the sunset.

Dang gnats. They ruined my one shot of cowboy heaven.

13 comments:

Megan said...

sad.... I love cowboys!

Megan said...

sad.... I love cowboys!

adrienzgirl said...

Nothing says "I love you" like "I just swallowed a bug!" Sorry bout that...couldn't help myself! :P

Leslie said...

You always make me laugh! The last time I rode a horse (at YW camp last summer) I fell off. Not some little scrawny Beehive, but me - the leader. In my defense, the wranglers did give me the irritable, fussy horse though since I was the only leader on that ride and when the horse gets too close to other horses (which how can you not do that when you are all walking in a row, at a snail pace, nose to tail) they knew it would rear up. And that it did and I fell/slightly jumped off backward.

Sandra said...

I'm not telling any of my horse stories- most of them end with me being embarassed. And my dad, the original cowboy would be as well.

Walking home from church on Sunday, Carrie mentioned your Sat. bike ride.

Kristen said...

Just found your blog from Lani's. She said you were a triplet :) I am 24 and a GGB triplet :) Just wanted to say hi!!

Amy said...

I think you should've turned around and shown him how rugged you were by telling him about the gnats. He probably would've been impressed.

Eclipsed said...

Stopping by from SITS

Cowboys are hot, he should have stopped to make sure you didn't choke on a gnat.

Tiffany said...

EEEWWW!!!! Rude cowboy should have stopped to see if you were ok with all that coughing and gagging.
Stopped by from SITS to leave some comment love : D

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

How funny that you should say this because not ten minutes ago...I told the Mr. that he needed to buy me another horse.

I'll tell him he needs to buy you one too.

Lani said...

Oh my gosh- that is too funny:) What are the chances!

Camaree Staheli said...

Noelle, Noelle, Noelle - I am hurt that you forgot about me. I have horses (okay my family has a lot of horses). From the pet pony to the horse I don't even dare saddle myself, and we can find the perfect one for you. The only catch, you have to come to Cedar. I won't hold my breath!

Debbie Gardner said...

Your hilarious! "You giggle everytime that I say, "yes mam" and I get this feeling if I held you tight, you'd be seeing his and hers buckles boots and spurs, well that's a feeling you'll get over, over-night, cause what you gonna do with a cowboy...This is a Chris LeDeux song that I thought of while reading your post. Did you get over the feeling?