Wednesday, September 9, 2009

When In Guatemala

I generally attract two types of men: Latin and married. If I happen to mention that I met a guy one of the first questions I get is, "Is he married?" Sad, but oh so true.

Keep that in mind as I tell you this story :

The first time I went to Guatemala I flew down alone. When I arrived at the airport in Guatemala City there was a man in a bellboy uniform waiting at the door, holding a sign that had my name. I felt like a movie star. I walked up to him and said in Spanish, "Hi, I'm Noelle." He answered in English. He loaded my bags and took me to the hotel.

He was friendly and his English was great. He lived in NYC for a few years and so we compared stories. Rafael, the bellboy, was cute, and he had a fun personality. He made me laugh a lot. We spent quite a bit of time together because during the next 24 hours we made the trip to the airport several times. (I had to meet groups of people as they were coming in from the United States.)

I was in Guatemala with a humanitarian group and we left the comforts of the hotel for the jungle. I much prefer the jungle.

Several days later, when we made our return trip to the hotel, Rafael was there to help us with our bags. He wouldn't let me tip him. Instead, he wanted my email address, and he wanted me to meet him after he got off of work. He suggested we meet at a park in the middle of the city. At 11:00pm.

I discussed it with the girls I met on the trip. They said I should go. They thought it could be fun. They said, "But think of the story you could tell!" And then they went to bed and said, "We can't wait to hear what you decide to do!"

I didn't meet him in the park. Because honestly, what girl in her right mind would?

We flew out of Guatemala City early the next morning and I didn't see Rafael. However, when I got home there was an email from him. (Don't ask my why I gave him my email...he was nice and I thought a pen pal from Guatemala would be fun.)

Turns out Rafael was looking for more than a pen pal.

Rafael was sad I didn't meet him in the park but that didn't change what he felt for me. I was the girl of his dreams, he wanted to come to Utah to see me, he wondered what it would be like to share his life with me...

And for several months that's how his emails were...even when I told him that I wasn't interested in him like that...over and over again. (Perhaps he and Fernando are related.)

One day Rafael posted some pictures on his email home page and invited me to look at them. I did. Guess who he had pictures of - his wife and sons.

Go ahead and laugh. I should have seen it coming.

I sent him an email and called him a scum bag and told him not to email me again.

He did - and denied the wife and sons...said he didn't know what I was talking about. I was the love of his life and it hurt him to think I didn't trust him.

I didn't email him again.

A few weeks passed and I got an email from someone named Evelyn. Can you guess who Evelyn was? Rafael's wife. Go ahead, laugh again - my purpose in life is comic relief.

What Evelyn wanted to know was:

1. Who I was
2. How I knew her husband
3. How well I knew her husband
4. What had happened between her husband and me

Rafael had forgotten to close his email account one day and Evelyn found the emails...including the one where Rafael had denied he had a wife.

Poor Evelyn.

I told her the story and told her that on my end she didn't have anything to worry about.

She believed me. She had my emails as proof.

Evelyn and I became friends and emailed quite a bit. I talked to her about the church and she said she was going to talk to the missionaries the next time she saw them.

The next time I flew to Guatemala Rafael was there to pick us up from the airport. I ignored him, he tried to kill me with the shuttle bus, and life went on. (I might have exaggerated the 'he tried to kill me' part...but one of the guys in our group did say, "Is this driver trying to kill us?" and I said, "Not you, just me.")

Ah...life...

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

Wow! A steamy Guatemalan affair. Well, not quite. But it sure could've been. You've got some mighty interesting stories to tell. Thanks for sharing :-)

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

At least he wasn't a drunk married man....

Sandra said...

Sometime I should tell you about the Latino guy I met named (are you ready for it?) Romeo.

Not making it up. And he lived in the same city as I did.

David G. Woolley said...

I think there is a government job in this for you IF:

This the same bellboy in Guatemala City that drove us to the airport. Is he?

If the answer is yes, then did he invite you to meet him in the park on our trip?

If the answer is no, then was he trying to kill us when he picked us up at the airport, but I just chalked it up to poor Guatemalan Driver's Education courses?

If the answer is yes, maybe you could get a job at the Guatemalan DMV. They pay in tortillas and Cerveza (the one with the red chicken).

Kimber said...

I would like to formally apologize for the bellboy, but it really would have been an interesting story if you'd met him at the cerveza christmas tree. However, I am glad that you did not go since he turned out to be a dirty, dirty dirtbag!