Thursday, October 29, 2009

Bibles and Pit Bulls

I think it's time for another story. I need a break from all of the on-line drama. And if I need a break, I can only imagine that you really need a break!

One of my best friends is a girl I met in NYC. We worked together twice: first in Jamaica, Queens and then later in Brooklyn. I had only been in NYC a few months when I moved to Jamaica and met Fawcett. (Her name is Leslie but I still call her Fawcett. She still calls me Platt...so do her parents, her husband, and her daughter. One day her husband called me Noelle and her daughter said, "DAD! That's Platt!)

But back to the story:

The church had been running an advertisement for free Bibles and we had stacks and stacks of paperwork with names and addresses of people wanting a Bible. We were daunted by the task before us. There was no way we were ever going to have the time to deliver all of the Bibles.

One day we discussed our options and decided on a very practical way of deciding who was going to get a free Bible that day. We took two stacks of paperwork and threw them in the air. We let the papers fall to the floor and the ones that landed face up...they are the ones we tracked down.

Sometime in the afternoon we had only a few people left to find, one was a guy named JR. We made our way to an apartment building and knocked on JR's door. He wasn't home. On the way out of the building we met a woman named Marlene. Marlene had just recently moved to NYC from Haiti and Marlene was looking for a church to join. How convenient that we could help her with that. We set up a time to go back and talk to Marlene and then headed to our next appointment.

We were on the sidewalk outside of Marlene's building when we were stopped by a guy. "Are you the Mormon missionaries?" We said we were. He said that he had ordered a Bible off of the TV. We asked, "Are you JR?" He was. He asked us to go back with him to his apartment because he wanted to learn more about the church.

The minute he opened the door I knew we were in for a treat. There was a pit bull there to greet us and a big puddle of dog urine we had to step over to get into the apartment. He led us past the kitchen, past the living room where someone was sitting watching TV, and into another room. Turns out that the other room was his bedroom...but we didn't realize it until we were already inside, with the door shut and locked. Hmmm...

How convenient that there was another guy also in the room. I looked at Fawcett and she looked at me and JR said, "have a seat ladies." The walls were covered with pictures of half naked women, there were beer bottles everywhere, and the friend was looking at us with a look that said he wasn't interested in learning anything from the Bible.

Fawcett said, "So...you wanted to learn about our church? That is why we're here right?"

JR said, "No, not exactly. But you don't have to be afraid."

Fawcett looked him in the eye and said, "We're not. We know karate."

JR flinched a little bit, looked over to his friend, and looked back at us.

"You do?"

I said, "Don't you? They teach us that in school back home. Everyone knows karate."

Then Fawcett stood up and said, "We'll be leaving boys. And we'll just take this Bible with us."

I didn't write home about that day.

Oh...and one more thing...

Tomorrow I am the guest blogger over at Multiples and More. Go visit me there!

5 comments:

adrienzgirl said...

Oh my! You shoulda told him you didn't know karate but God certainly could put a hurtin' on him!!!

Tiffany said...

I'm just a little sick to my stomach after reading that. Of course I watch way too many murder/crime scene dramas but I didn't see that going anywhere good. So glad you're still here to share it!

Amy said...

Tell me that this doesn't end in "and JR is that man/woman who wants to start a rock band" cuz that would be freaky.

Also, I like your decision making style. :)

Keith and Jamie said...

Found you at the MoMs blog. You are really funny...and I like your chattiness.
Thanks for the story on at MoMs...it was touching. Just curious though...did you like being in a different class? And just a WOW at the fact that your sis survived "C"...God is so good!

Feeling Just Right said...

Oh my God! SCARY. Brave Fawcett and Brave You!

I am proud of you girls!