Saturday, October 3, 2009

Cupcakes and Cops

I've only been pulled over once in my life.

I was speeding on Locust Avenue.

When the cop came to my car he said, "Do you know why I pulled you over?"

I said, "Yes sir."

"Why?"

"Because I was speeding on Locust Avenue sir."

"Why were you speeding?"

"Because I'm late for the temple open house sir." (I had to play the piano at the open house.)

He looked at me for a minute and said, "I'll need your license and registration please."

I opened the glove box and said to the cop, "Which one is the registration sir?"

He cracked a smile but then hid it really fast.

He took my information and came back a few minutes later. He handed me my papers and said, "Slow down Noelle." And I said I would, and I drove off without a ticket.

As I drove off I thought, "It's really all your fault that cops even patrol this street Noelle." And it is...here's why:

When we were in grade school, maybe 2nd or 3rd grade, we were walking home one day when someone stopped and offered us a cupcake. We had to walk past the high school every day and I'm sure the person offering us the cupcakes was a high school student. My siblings all said no and walked away at a faster pace. I didn't say no...the cupcakes looked really good! So I took a chocolate cupcake and ate it, and by the time I finished it, my siblings had run the rest of the way home, and tattled on me.

My mom was mad...and I got a lecture of epic proportion. Mom didn't end the situation with the lecture. She called the police station. I don't remember what she said, but I do remember hiding out in the bathroom, listening, and waiting for the dust to settle.

Soon after that conversation I noticed cops on Locust Avenue...every day...and they've been there ever since, hanging out, pulling over anyone who goes over 25 miles an hour.

If you live in my neck of the woods, and you get pulled over on Locust Avenue, I'm sorry okay! I'll never eat another cupcake as long as I live!

7 comments:

DakerMom said...

That's funny! But I'm sure that you've in some way prevented many dangerous accidents, so basically you ate a cupcake, got in trouble, and ended up saving a bunch of lives :)

Kristen said...

haha that is so funny! I am glad there was nothing wrong with the cupcake. Your siblings should have stopped you!

Amy said...

Further evidence that cupcakes are the root of all evil. Or that THE LOVE OF cupcakes are the root of all evil. Either way....

Leslie said...

Hmmm, now I'll know to avoid Locust when I'm in PG. And I should be avoiding cupcakes anyway because I can never stop at just one!

Benjamin said...

Seriously.

trublubyu said...

that's so funny!

i'm going to ask chris if he has ever been pulled over on locust. and then i'll tell him who he can thank :)

Feeling Just Right said...

Haha! You ate that cupcake from a stranger??! Now, I'm officially letting you enter my foodie club! AND declaring you winner for a week :)

Hog away!