Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Paying Bills

The other night a friend told me about a ridiculous $10 fine he got for parking in the wrong spot. He paid the fine - in pennies. His story made me laugh...and think of a bill my dad paid.

Oh so many years ago my parents bought a photo package from Sears. They could get three sittings within a year for the very low price of $_____. (Just make a price up...I don't know it.)

They had one sitting done when they got a notice saying that the photo department of Sears had gone out of business. If I've got the story right, they were supposed to pay for the sittings as they got them. They figured 'no harm done.' They paid for the service they got and then forgot about it.

Sears photo department did not forget about it however.

They continued to bill my parents for the amount owing on the photo shoots they never got.

My dad called, and wrote letters, and called some more, explaining why he didn't owe the money. (My dad has the patience of Job...until it comes to sales people and people who try to swindle him out of money.)

Sears sent nasty threats of collection agencies, and even threatened to have the power shut off.

My dad finally wrote them a check - but it was written on the inside of a steer manure bag.

Did you know that as long as you have an account number and a routing number a check written on anything is valid?

He took a picture of the steer manure bag and sent a note with the check, letting Sears know that if they actually cashed the check he would send a copy of it, along with a letter telling what happened, to every magazine and newspaper he could.

The check was never cashed and he never heard from Sears again.

7 comments:

adrienzgirl said...

That is the best "you suck" and I am not paying you because your service isn't worth this sack of crap story I have ever heard!

Kristen said...

that is ridiculous that they actually did that!!

Lani said...

What a great story.. Your dad sounds like a funny guy:) And that is very interesting about the check- I never knew that!

Sandra said...

Go!- your dad.

I had family pictures taken at Sears before the boys shipped out. I am so not happy with them. I have skin as white as Snow White and lips as red as her poisoned apple in some of them. In others Brandi is as black as charcol and the next one she is as white as me. And I was wearing a black dress and the photographer choose a black background- I look like a floating head.

Too bad I didn't have your dad's example before.

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

ha! I think the same thing happened to my parents. Right up until the steer manure part. Now that I think about it - I need to ask my mom how that was resolved.

Manda said...

You know...I was just thinking about this the other day, trying to figure out what happened and what the story was. All I remembered was he wrote a check on the inside of SOMEthing...I thought it was a fertilizer bag. I'm glad you read my mind and post it :D Thanks!

Feeling Just Right said...

Woohoo! Cool Dad! Wow! I am still trying to take that in.

Smart Daddy you have!