Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Tradition (Think of Tevia Singing It)

I can think of 4 traditions we have observed faithfully over the years:

Spending the 4th and 24th of July at our mountain property
Cutting Christmas trees down
Bowling on Thanksgiving Eve
Stuffed celery on Thanksgiving Day

When our barn burned down we kind of lost our desire to go back to our property and for the first time ever we didn't celebrate the July holidays at the farm.

Cutting Christmas trees is the same story.

Bowling was a great tradition...one that wouldn't remind us of what happened at the farm.

But we managed to put an end to that when we bought the bowling alley and turned it into a charter school.

Are you sensing a pattern here?

If I get to Mom's house tomorrow and don't see stuffed celery on the table I may be looking for a new family to join...one that still has a tradition or two.

I'm just sayin' ...

8 comments:

Benjamin said...

Good post. Time for renewed commitment to tradtions.

Annie said...

Great post!!!

Happy Thanksgiving Day!!

adrienzgirl said...

Maybe you should call and give her a heads up!

Just sayin'.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Sam said...

I like this post. I know where you're coming from. This Thanksgiving is kind of tradition-free for me too... And I'm really big on tradition, so I'm not handling it very well.

Here's hoping for stuffed celery.

Happy Thanksgiving!

- Sam

Manda said...

We really need to work on that...

Tiffany said...

Stuffed celery... its such a simple thing but means a lot! The little traditions make us feel safe and loved. I'm tempted to stuff some celery this minute and drive it down as a backup. Tradition!!

Christina said...

Awww!!! Happy Thanksgiving!!

A girl needs 2 Talk said...

Hope all your traditions stay intact and the wrong-doer learns that the spirit can never be crushed.