Monday, January 4, 2010

Engaged…Finally! (from Jason)

Times, they are a-changin'...

For those of you who don't know me, this is truly a miraculous tale…one that few people believe as I describe it to them. The most entertaining part for me is the facial expressions I see as I tell it. They range from bewilderment to mocking laughter (the last expression mostly coming from already wedded men). You see, I am not a spring chicken anymore. Most, including my parents, have written off the fact that I would ever get married. My father even accused me of being gay, or at least suspected it. When he asked me the question, 'Do you even like girls?' I got the message loud and clear. Some even look to this as one of the signs of the Apocalypse. At least that's what they tell me.

I've always been told these many years that getting married would happen effortlessly. It has been anything but that throughout my life. I can honestly say that some of my greatest joys and the majority of my most exquisite pain have involved dating. Up until now, they have all ended badly, or at least not as I had envisioned. This has not been because of a lack of effort mind you. Rather, I have seemingly wasted countless millions taking girls to dinner, movies, buying gifts, paying for gas, and a hundred other instances of throwing away my hard earned cash in order to find 'The One'.

I know what you're thinking...something along the lines of, 'do you want some cheese with that whine?' Well those days are gone I'm happy to say (that is if I don't do something to screw it up!) and it has been just as the pontificators have predicted...truly effortless.

As Noelle and I saw each other for the first time, I think we both knew that we were going to get married. Of course you can't say that on the first date. As poor a performance as I made that day, it seemed that stars had already aligned in our favor. As we continued to talk and email each other, it became even more clear.

When I finally asked Noelle to marry me, it was rather sudden and unexpected for both of us. Well after the time we'd discovered that our grandparents where practically related (they're not just so you know), we had brought up the subject many times and were both comfortable in referring to marriage as 'when', not 'if'. However, sitting on the couch of my parent's house on my father's birthday, I decided to make it official. Although I didn't have a ring, I still felt it the right thing to do.

My parents were gone for a few hours, and because I hadn't purchased a gift for my dad, and thinking this would be the best present he could ever receive (at least the most shocking), I knelt on one knee and asked Noelle if she would marry me. Her response was priceless! She said, "Are you serious?" (I'm so romantic.)

With the smile gone from my face, I said, "Of course I'm serious!" She then lovingly said, "No really, come on..." (Amazing that he dared try a third time.) At this point I was second guessing what I thought was a sure thing, but persisted. "Yes, I am totally serious and I absolutely want to marry you." She then, finally, said, "Yes" which, of course, brought me a huge welcome sense of relief. (And trust me, the kiss afterword wasn't so bad either.)

After that, the conversation completely changed. We were getting married and that was that! It has been better than I could have ever imagined since!

The truly official proposal, ring and all, happened shortly thereafter. Having purchased the ring, and holding on to it for dear life all day long (while grocery shopping, playing games, going to dinner, etc.), and being as patient as I have ever been, I found the perfect moment.

Having just visited (going to dinner, and playing some extra long card games with one of Noelle's best friends), (in my defense I had no clue he was waiting to ask again) I decided to take a short drive to a place I loved to visit, the Bountiful Temple on a hill just north of Salt Lake City, UT. The snow was lightly falling and it was unbearably cold outside, (UNBEARABLY) but the moment was now or never (that's not really true).

We walked around this beautiful building to a corner where we could look out onto the valley below. After sensing Noelle getting colder and colder based on the severity of her shaking, I knelt on one knee and asked her to marry me once again. As had been the case before, her answer was priceless. This time she said, without hesitation, "Yes!" We hurried back to the car and drove the rest of the way home holding hands.

Now is that not a miraculous tale?! Well, it has been for me...

Yep…miraculous! Now, what will be even more miraculous is if I can figure out how to plan a wedding…good grief, we're in trouble!

16 comments:

Sandra said...

When you know, you know and to wait is stupid I always say. Great story, Jason.

Now, Noelle, there are moms, sisters, friends, strangers, blog readers all waiting to give you advice on planning your wedding, so let me be the first. You and Jason do what you want to do because there is no way you are ever going to make everyone happy and it is your memory that you are creating- no one else's.

Bridget said...

Awwwwwww! Congrats Noelle!!! I loved reading "his" version, hahaha!

Lydia N. said...

That is the coolest story ever!

Mary said...

It sounds perfect. Not even too cheesy. And Noelle, don't worry about being romantic, I got accused of the same thing, when I asked my husband the first time if he was going to kiss me already or not. How was I to know he was waiting to make it romantic. I was getting tired of waiting.
I am so happy for both of you.
Anyway, I think you should just have a big party after the wedding, no formal recepion.

Christina said...

That's awesome. I'm so happy for you!! Let me know if I can be of any assistance! :))

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

Friend - do what I did. Thoughts of the big wedding was my least favorite part. I still cringe at the thought of 200 co-workers which expected an invite not to mention all the family and friends....

So instead of a wedding planner we got a travel agent and I've never regretted that decision. If people really want to be there - they will.

So go exotic and go Hawaii.

Paradise is worth it. Trust me on this....

Annie said...

Lovely store. Congratulations, Noelle.

RayRay said...

If I were in Utah, I'd do your flowers at cost. Just because I love this story so much.

Tiffany said...

Well done Jason. The proposal, the retelling... all of it!

Miss Noelle,
Is your face hurting from all the smiling yet? Its a good hurt though, so enjoy it.

My only suggestion to you is to be careful driving. When I was newly engaged I nearly got in an accident while sneaking a peek at my sparkly engagement ring.

I endorse Sandra's suggestion. Make merry the way that's right for you two. I'm loving hearing about this. Thanks so much for sharing.

Jamie said...

I swear I need to take stock in Kleenex aroun you guys!!! I think this has to be better than any chick flick I have seen, although I can name several that it reminds me of, but I won't bore you with my movie knowledge.
I do agree with the 'Me' of mr Thompson & Me...it should all be about you, and Hawaii is beautiful!!! The way I figure it ( oh, did I mention I am an accountant...we are as penny pinching as they come), it should be all about the Marriage and not about the wedding! Make sense, if not let me know and I will be happy to explain.
I love you both (considering we are the BFF's of blog buddies)...just tell me where you are registered, because presents are a must!!
Now Jason, this story was romantic...and I am thinking you must be a prince; because that is the best proposal...looking out over the valley (as she is shaking with frost bite) I LOVE IT!!! The ring is FAB-U-LOUS!!! Jam packed with romance...good job!

Platt Lucky 7 said...

So Exciting!!! We are so happy for you.

Lani said...

Thank you so much for sharing this:) Congratulations again:)
And how about a nice beach wedding in FL?;) I would be happy to help!

Rika said...

i'm with jalae on this one... only you'd have to postpone it till june or july as i'll already be there during that time. ;)

adrienzgirl said...

This really is a whirlwind romance story. I love hearing it from both perspectives. Just too cute, both of you!

Do what makes you happy with your wedding! If you need advice there are a gazillion that have gone before you, all more than happy to share what to do, and definitely what NOT to do! :D

But, they are indeed your memories, so don't worry about not making this one happy, or that one getting their feelings hurt. You two waited a long time to find "the one". Make sure your day is as magically yours as this romantic tale!

Amy said...

Awww...that's sweet. And the bit about the kissing officially counts as juice by the way. :)

I'm so glad you guys are gettin' hitched.

The bit about you not being able to plan a wedding has me rolling my eyes. Because OH brother!

Will Jason be an invited writer on your blog? Or is this YOUR blog? I kinda like him.

NcoL said...

CONGRATS!!!!! I'm so happy for you!