Friday, January 8, 2010

Football and Boiling Water

One of the things I love most about blogging is meeting new people.

I have GREAT blogging friends!

Jamie
is one of those friends. She makes me smile. Jamie is a HUGE fan of the Crimson Tide Alabama football team. She's been gearing up for their BCS game for weeks. I decided to watch the game last night...to cheer right along with Jamie.

Sadly, I watched the first quarter of the game in the waiting room of the ER.



This little lady loves to help her mommy cook. She pulls up a chair and stands right along side her mommy, stirring her little heart out.

Last night she got too close and some boiling water splashed out of the pan onto Sami's neck and chest. Her skin immediately started to peel and she went into shock.

Sami's mommy, my sister, called me and asked, "Can you take Sami and me to the ER?"

Sami was not happy about going to the doctor. Through her tears of pain she said over and over again, "I better Mommy. No doctor. I better Mommy, it doesn't hurt. No doctor."

My sister said, "I looked in a Red Cross first aid book. It said to mix water and baking soda and rub that on the burns until the doctor arrived. What I'm wondering is 'when is the doctor supposed to arrive?'"

I suggested that she either get a new book or a new doctor...one that might actually show up at her door. (She called last night to tell us that the book was published in 1909...hmmm.)

I parked myself in the waiting room (hospitals and I don't have a good relationship...especially when they involve my adorable niece who is crying as if she's heartbroken) and I turned the TV channel to the game.

After I watched Alabama's quarterback get sacked two times I thought maybe it was time to get over my fear of hospital rooms.

I made my way bravely to Sami's side and held her little hand while the doctor bandaged her. She cried...I cried...(that's not surprising...I always cry.)

They gave her Lortab for the pain.

A two-year-old on Lortab is highly entertaining!

That little girl had us laughing all night long.



After things settled down my dad and I watched the rest of the game...

with a gallon of burnt almond fudge ice cream and two spoons.

Alabama won the National Championship.

I told Jamie I've never been more proud of Alabama.

And the quarterback? He's not lost a game as the starting quarterback since he was in the 8th grade!

That's impressive!

6 comments:

Camaree Staheli said...

Personally, I was cheering for Texas (please don't think ill of me Jamie).

Noelle, I hate to whine, but I really, really, really want to see pictures of your house. Haven't I been patient enough?

Glad Sami is okay.

Tia said...

Oh poor Sami!! That looks painful!

I wasn't really cheering for either one, but I did watch. Congratulations Jamie!

Tiffany said...

Ooooh Sami :(

So sorry about her burn.

Glad you were there to help Noelle.

Yay for sisters!

The Boob Nazi said...

Ouch! Poor baby.

aynzan said...

Glad She's allright now..

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

I was thinking that book might have been published in 1859 when the Red Cross originated. Glad it was only 1909....

Tell Heather to give it up for our museum.

Give Sami a cookie and a kiss. Cute kid.