Thursday, January 14, 2010

Just For Today

I've started this first paragraph at least 7 times. I'll type a few words and then hit delete. I have so much I want to say and yet today I can't seem to find the words.

I've been getting updates from my friend Tia about the situation in Haiti. An awful, horrible situation...and one that is very much Tia's reality. Her little boy Collin is somewhere in Haiti. She's not sure if he's alive or if his life was taken in the earthquake. Tia's best friend has two little kids...Nathan and Jessica...who are also somewhere in Haiti. Still no word on if they are safe and cared for, or something much worse.

Living in New York City I met a lot of people from Haiti...some who became my dear friends. Almost every person I know from Haiti left family behind when they came to the United States. Marlene, a single mother from Haiti, brought two kids with her, and left two at home. I wonder if her kids are okay.

When bad things happen I cry. And I've cried a lot for the people in Haiti.

A few weeks ago in church we were talking about hardships, and trials, and things that happen that simply aren't fair. The woman giving the lesson asked: "What do you say to people who want to know why God allows bad things to happen to good people?" People gave the answers that make the most sense: bad things allow us to grow, our faith in God is increased through trials, there are things we need to learn that we can't learn any other way...etc.

I believe in these answers...I really do. But when you're in the middle of your own very personal trial I'm not sure that those answers bring the peace you so desperately need. I've found an answer that brings peace to me...every single time...and for my friends Tia and Lori I hope it brings some peace to them as well.

I believe that some day God will make everything right for every single one of us. I don't know how and I don't know when, but I have the faith that He will. If my friend's little boy didn't survive the earthquake (and oh how I pray that he did) God will make it right for Collin and Tia. For my friend Tiffanie who is fighting for her life with cancer, God will make it right. For my friend JaLae (Mr. Thompson and Me) who wants nothing more than to be a mother, but can't be right now...somehow, some day, God will make it right with her.

I look forward to the day when I will see the evidence of this...but until then, my faith that it will happen is enough.

Tomorrow I'll be back to blogging about weddings and stuff. But for today, thanks for reading.

7 comments:

Camaree Staheli said...

Thank you for this post - it is exactly what I needed to hear right now.

Annie said...

Is a difficult time to everyone no matter if you experienced earthquake or not. It's horrible, and more if you know people from there.

Thanks for your post, Noelle.

Tiffany said...

Beautifully written Noelle. So much heartache and suffering. I'm praying for them all.

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

Ahhhh....that's why I have the greatest friends.

Confession: I probaby don't have a child because God knows that there is a big place in my heart that is ready to pack my suitcase.

For Haiti.

Mary said...

well said. I wonder about all of our friends there as well.

Brynn said...

You are right Noelle. Sometimes all we can do is pray and have faith. My heart aches for everyone suffering in Haiti and those that aren't in Haiti that have loved ones there.

aynzan said...

Our Hearts ache for the Haitians.It's saddening to see how all of them are suffering.My prayers go out to them.