Thursday, January 21, 2010

On Registering

I registered at Bed, Bath, and Beyond a few nights ago.

I took Becca with me. (Jason was working and probably didn't feel bad about not being there...and Becca is an expert at all things kitchen.)

We were directed to a counter where we were greeted by a young girl. She was helping another couple and asked us to wait...which we did, patiently.

After a few minutes she looked from me to Becca and asked, "Ummm...so you're getting married?"

(Inside I cracked up because I knew what she was thinking...but seriously, we're in Utah County...)

I smiled and said, "I am."

Her look relaxed and she said, "Oh. So where is your fiance? Doesn't he want to help with this?"

I replied, "Probably not really. He's working and I'm sure he's fine about missing out on this experience."

She said, "Are you sure? Well, he can go online and see what you've registered for...just to make sure he's okay with it."

I didn't say anything. In my wisdom I've learned to keep my mouth shut at times.

She turned back to the other couple (the really young couple) and started gushing...really. Gushing.

"So how did you meet? How long have you dated? When are you getting married? Where are you going to live? You're just so cute together..."

I turned to Becca and asked, "Is it just me or do you feel old?" She felt old too...which is a good thing considering we're the same age.

I filled out the paperwork and then waited while the young girl finished asking her questions to the couple.

"Now, before we can get you started I just need to show you a few things in this book. We'll have you look at the dishes and the luggage and pick out what you need."

The young couple said, "Oh! We need dishes!" I smiled and said, "It's okay, I already have dishes."

"Oh...you do? Well...okay...well, then let me get you a scanner and you'll be ready to start."

I turned to Becca and said, "I still feel old."

I felt even older when the young girl handed me the scanner and said, "Here you go ma'am."

In fact, she called me ma'am three times during our encounter.

I shook it off and said, "Let's do some scanning Bec."

And scan we did. It was entertaining...and it was made very clear to me that I have expensive tastes. Several times Becca said, "Don't scan that. It's too much money." And I said something like, "But Becca, we need to dream big. If we don't get it, we don't get it. But what if we do get it?!!" (I registered for a hand held Dison vacuum.) Like I told Becca, you've got to dream big.

One time I pointed something out to Becca and said, "Do you like this?" She did. I scanned it and told her if I got it, it was hers. I think she liked that idea.

When we finished I suggested we go to Pier 1. Pier 1 is one of my favorite stores and I wanted to register for some dishes I love. Guess what, they don't have a wedding registry at Pier 1. Sigh.

We went to drown my sorrows at Barnes and Noble. Barnes and Noble is my other favorite store. I bought 2 books and felt better.

To end our date we ate strawberry custard and watched American Idol. As she was leaving I wanted to say, "Thank you ma'am, come again."

But I didn't...

11 comments:

Brynn said...

Ma'am,
That was a good story.
Sincerly,
Mrs. Davis

Sandra said...

I remember the first time someone called me Ma'am. I looked around for who they were talking to. I still feel that.

Pier One doesn't have a registry??? Why not? Do they not know what business they are missing? Because I would go there to get you the dishes you love. And while I am there I would get me something as well, because I am sure they have something I don't know I need.

rika said...

platt, i wish you had said something. utah county (head shaking)

The Boob Nazi said...

I reeeeaaaaally want to get married just so I can register. I am that shallow.

Daniel and Elise said...

Ha! That's awesome! Getting engaged and married in Utah is a whole different experience than anywhere else :)
I dreamed big when I registered too...I got a few things and I LOVE them :)

Kimber said...

I think Becca should give you the gift you said you'd give her. :)

Amy said...

i get ma'amed every time i go to the grocery store and i really just wanna smack the stupid pimple faced teenager who thinks I'm a "ma'am". Geez.

Tiffany said...

Last night, the nurse I was working with told the tale of her latest haircut. She was desperate and walked into a new salon as her regular stylist was out of town. She said the girl in the salon looked to be about 15 (scary) but she could cut her hair right then. While shampooing her hair, the girl tried to make small talk... "Do you have any New Year's resolutions? Are you going to any parties for New Years?"

My coworker (who is maybe 8 years younger than me) said, "Yes, I'm going to a big family party at my grandmother's home"

The young stylist replied in astonishment, "Your grandma's still alive?!?"

That's cold.

Registering is fun, but not fun enough that Jason will be sad he missed it. :)

Annie said...

Oh, great story.

Jamie said...

You have to take Jason registering...He will love it!!! My hubby loved registering...he felt empowered "shooting" the gun. He was always amazed that we picked out stuff and other people bought it for us!!! Take Jason with you, Let him shoot the gun, Let him try on the towels (make sure they wrap all the way around), Register at Lowe's (Jason will like this part) for yard equipment/household tools...seriously, Jason will like it.

I am sorry they called you ma'am, I get that now...and I always look over my shoulder hoping my mom is walking up.

adrienzgirl said...

Oh to be young and ignorant again....