Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Noelle Wednesday, and other funny stories.

Have you ever had those days when you were just plain exhausted and you wanted to come home and sleep straight for a week?

Today and yesterday have been those days. Both of them so full and busy I didn't have time to eat lunch. Needless to say I'm exhausted tonight.

So I'm sitting on the couch listening to Josh Groban. He makes my heart happy.

And I'm stuck. Doing Math. On Spring Break.
Bleh...(I'm taking a break right now...shh don't tell)

In other news, I think I'm being tricked by a certain sister of mine who is supposed to be on her honeymoon...I suppose we'll see after tonight.

I do have a funny story for you though.

I had to run home and get Becca's (my other sister) camera to take some pictures at work. While I was home my dad came and asked if I would run downstairs and see if there was water running.

I did.

There wasn't.

So I went back upstairs and said no. He asked me if I had checked the water softener.

No...

Repeat the above mentioned process of running and checking and telling.

It wasn't.

Boyfriend looked outside and couldn't see anything either.

I listened in the main bathroom upstairs. Nada.

So I went and listened in dad's bathroom and heard it. Very strange.

So I left and went back to work and told mom about what was going on.

She called dad and asked what he was going to do about it.

"Nothing. I don't know what to do."

So mom said she was going to run home and check to make sure everything was okay.

When she got back she told me what it was.

It wasn't water.

It was the fan.

In his bathroom ceiling.

I laughed soooo hard. :) He's a cute man.

Since today is Grandpa Wednesday, I thought I'd do Noelle Wednesday and share a story about Noelle with you from when I was really little.

Noelle is ten years older than me. The next are eight years older than me. The closest to me is five and a half years older than me. Needless to say I grew up with a lot of parents. :)

There would be nights when I couldn't sleep, or when I was just sad because of one thing or another. And on these occasions Noelle would sing the song "You Are My Sunshine" to me.

Pretty soon it just became our song. She sang it to me all the time. When I got older whenever I heard that song it made me think of her and I would cry just about every time.

When I served a mission for our church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints, Noelle was really good about sending me packages.

They contained anything you could think of. Candy, chocolate, pens, socks, you name it she sent it.

One time I got just a manilla envelope. I opened it and there was a page that she had written on that had the words "You are my sunshine" and she had outlined it with a multitude of different colors until it became a block of colors around the words (you know, like you used to do in Elementary School....at least like I did in E.S...)

So it made me teary eyed and I thought "Oh, that's really sweet" and put it on my wall and thought nothing of it.

A month went by and I got another manilla envelope. I opened this one and it had the words "My only sunshine"

By this point I was starting to think maybe this wasn't a one time thing.

Sure enough, by the end of the 18 months(that's how long girls serve, guys serve for 2 years), I had gotten enough papers to complete the first verse of the song. Every time I moved apartments I hung them up in front of my desk. It was one of the things that got me through the hard times of my mission and of being away from my family. It also made me cry on occasion, but crying can be a good thing too. :)

It's one of those things that I will always connect with her and will always love about her. She's a great older sister and I love her very much!!

*sigh* Alas, I should probably go continue my homework. I promise I will answer your questions about school and boyfriend tomorrow. I hope you all have a fabulous and relaxing evening!!

Talk to you tomorrow!

2 comments:

The Warrior in ME said...

Oh Amanda! This gave me goose-flesh, brought a fat lump into my throat and made me want to cry. Why do you sisters do this to me- really- why?

I love the bond you girls share. It is oh-so-adorable. My big sister is 5 years 7 months elder to me and she so means the world to me. I feel sad coz she's away, in another continent, working. I've always been one of those tell-them-EVERYTHING kind of sisters, so i cannot explain the vacuum i've had to deal with ever since she left in 2004. We talk. Not as often. Cardiologists, sadly, are too busy. But, i love the connect when we do get to talk. It is priceless.

Long story just to say, i know where you're coming from.

p.s. Please enjoy the math- i LOVE it- okay don't be mad at me.

rplatt said...

Good story Manda Lou!!!! You are doing a good job with the blog. I sure do love ya!