Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Tender Mercies

We've had a lot of new friends join us in the last few weeks...welcome! And a special welcome to Cheeseboy. He's worried we're not going to accept him because he's not a 'mommy blogger.' Dear Cheeseboy, I'm not a mommy blogger either...you should fit right in!

For those who are new, today's post might make more sense if you read this post first.

I'm not a sign seeker...I don't look at things and say 'that's a sign'...unless I'm being sarcastic...which RARELY happens...really, it's rare. (Maybe...) But on occasion I recognize things as being gifts from God...things that happen so randomly that they can't be anything but a gift from God. I'm sure there are people who would argue with me on this point, but it's my world, and thankfully I get to believe what I want to believe.

My wedding day came with a gift...not a gift wrapped in paper and bows...but a gift that meant so much more.

After our wedding ceremony we had a lunch for all of our friends and family who were at the ceremony. A local catering company took care of everything. Jason and I were standing near the table where the food was when one of the girls who works for the caterer approached me.

"I know you" she said. I looked at her for a moment and said, "I think I know you too but I can't figure out how.

I'm usually very good with names and faces, but I could not, for the life of me, place how I knew this girl. We talked for a minute and then parted ways. A bit later when I went to get a cup of water the girl approached me again. "Where do you live?" I told her. "Do you know _____?" I told her I didn't recognize the name. She looked at me for a minute and then said, "Did you used to wear glasses?" I had LASIK several years ago, and the fact that she knew me pre-LASIK surprised me.

She said, "I live in Provo...in the Grandview area." And then it began to click.

"Oh...maybe you knew my grandpa...Lyn Rasmussen?" And then it clicked for both of us and for me, the tears were instant as I gave her a huge hug. "Jessie! No wonder I didn't recognize you...you grew up into a beautiful young lady!" I was crying and she was crying and the people around us were just watching us.

Jessie was 12 when I met her. She and her family were my grandpa's neighbors. Jessie loved my grandpa, and he loved her. Jessie's mom played a huge part in helping me with my grandpa.
After I moved Grandpa into a care center Jessie and her mom visited him every morning until he died. Not only did they visit, but Jessie combed my grandpa's hair every single day. Oh how I loved that girl.

I spoke at my grandpa's funeral and told Jessie that she would be my hero forever because of the love she showed my grandpa. I think she was as sad as I was when he died.

She was there, in the background, throughout the entire lunch...and with her presence, I felt connected to my grandpa. She came up to me as she was leaving and gave me another hug. "I love you," she said. And in my mind I heard my grandpa...and it was enough.

9 comments:

Feeling Just Right said...

Awwww. (look at me with my hair standing on end) THAT was a sign! Beautiful! Yay! I'm so so so pleased to see that Grandpa DID come and made sure you knew he was there!

God is good. I like this :)

Bossy Betty said...

What a beautiful connection to make on such a special day!

Joann Mannix said...

Beautiful. She was there for a reason you know.

CRAZYMOM said...

oh that is precious. You are right, that was a gift!

Cheeseboy said...

Oh boy... don't I feel like an idiot. Well, I am glad we can both be "non-mom bloggers" together. In fact, we should start a group. I'll start the paperwork.

That is a terrific story. Definitely not coincidence.

adrienzgirl said...

That's twice in one week Noelle. You have made me cry, twice. Good tears of course, but still.

Beth said...

That was beautiful!

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

Thanks. I'm crying again.

With snot and everything.

Heaven peeks in on the important moments. I know that it does.

Loralee and the gang... said...

wow, the circle of life was completed! What a cool story.