Sunday, March 28, 2010

They Melt My Heart

Allie, my 8 year old niece, was in the backyard playing today when Jason and I got to my sister's house. I went out to say hi to her and to all of my other nieces and nephews. Allie asked me this question as her greeting:

"So Noelle, do you feel different now that you're a wife?"

I told her that no, I didn't feel that much different.

"Well you look different to me," was Allie's response. "You know, like that shirt you're wearing. That's kind of different. Where did you get it?"

"Is it a good different or a bad different Allie?" (Because did you know that the opinion of an 8 year old is incredibly important?)

She said it was a good different and then she asked again where I got my shirt.

* * * * * * * * * *

After dinner, the kids...8 of them...started clamoring for their weekly walk. They love when the weather warms up and the sun doesn't set as early. I wasn't quite ready to leave the adult conversation so I told them they had to run around my sister's back yard 7 times and then we could go. Amazingly, they did it! They ran their little hearts out. About the 4th lap (it's a big back yard) I went outside to take pity on them. I said, "Let's run one more lap and then we'll go." I held hands with the two youngest and we ran until we were out of breath...and then we walked the rest of the lap. I'm such a wimp.

* * * * * * * * * *

All ten of us...the kiddies and Jason and me held hands as we crossed the big road and then I let the kids run ahead of us. I wish wish wish that I had taken a video camera with us...because what Jason and I saw could become the next YouTube phenomenon.

I have two nieces close to the same age...one will be 3 in July and one will be 3 in December. They both still wear diapers. It just so happens that both diapers were a bit soggy. Those little girls each ran as fast as they could, with one hand holding up their soggy diapers.

The further they ran the more the diapers fell, and it was the funniest thing I have seen in a long time. Run...stop and pull the diaper up...run some more...stop and adjust the diaper...run again...dang those diapers. We were near our destination when Sami stopped and looked back at us with a big grin. Her diaper had fallen off and was stuck by the velcro to her dress.

Jason and I couldn't stop laughing. We reached Sami and I helped her get loose of her diaper gone astray. I said, "Should we run back home and get a new diaper?" She said yes and then held up her arms. "Carry me Noelle...too many cars." I did but I threatened her. "Samantha, if you pee on me..." and she just smiled and threw her arms around my neck.

* * * * * * * * * *

When we left my sister's house tonight I gave Sami one final squeeze. "I love you Sami!" I said. She looked at me kind of shyly...climbed onto her mom's lap...and then smiled and whispered, "Thank you."

It was sometime during all of this that my mom informed Jason and me that she's praying we have quadruplets...because it's going to take that kind of miracle to get our kids here before we're too old to have them...(Do you think she realizes that by calling me old, she's also calling herself old? I probably won't point that out to her.)

It's cause to worry...this prayer of my mom's...because I'm convinced she has a direct link to God.

Bother.

11 comments:

RayRay said...

oh this is adorable.

p.s. I've missed you.

Feeling Just Right said...

OMG! Diaper falling off had me in splits! Samantha needs to do a repeat- we could NOT have missed out on this! It's just not fair!

Your family tree sounds like one of those fairy tale stories- so enchanting! The love in there is beautiful.

You going running with the kids had me smiling away- i have never been a runner- i so want to!

p.s. the quadruplets sound like a great idea. Pray mum, pray. I'll join in.

Joann Mannix said...

Oh, dear, that is not a prayer I would want directed at me! That sounded like just a wonderfully sweet way to spend your day. Love the image of the 2 girlies pulling their diapers up.

Baby Sister said...

One of these days...when I read your blog...I won't cry.
Just so you're aware.

Dominguez Family said...

4 kids all at once?! All I can do is laugh really hard at the thought...and laugh...and laugh...and laugh!

Amy said...

HOORAY for quadruplets! :) Add my prayers to your moms....my link is not so direct, but with two of us....YOU'RE DOOOMED!!!!!

Amy said...

Plus, just think of how great the blog stories will be with quadruplets!

Bossy Betty said...

I'm voting for quads too, but I don't think I have the connections your mom does!

Tiffany said...

Yay for twofers, threefers and fourfers if you can get 'em!

My cousin had quads. All healthy and happy and developmentally on track. (They're in first grade now!) With the loving family all around you, you and Jason could do it! I have no doubt whatsoever.

Back in our infertility days, Rich and I had hoped for twins. It didn't happen but that's because Heavenly Father knew I could not have done right by two at once :)

I'm praying with Team Val.

Tiffany said...

P.S. Allie is darling. I got to visit with her at your shower and again at the reception. She's so sweet. Sounds like she's got an eye for fashion too.

Tami said...

Just one word of advice - Don't ask my dad for a blessing. He is related to Grandpa Y and dad is convinced it was his blessing that got you all here. Just sayin.... by the way love ya!