Tuesday, March 9, 2010

We're The Best of Friends


Meet my best friend from high school...Kim.

(The blond is my sister Becca)

Kim and I go way back...way way back.

We had classes together.

We spent the weekends together.

We talked on the phone a lot...when we were both at work.

We spied on the boys we had crushes on.

We skipped a few classes together.

We went off to college together.

Kim's mom is like my mom.

I call Kim's grandparents Grandma and Grandpa.

I know all of Kim's aunts and uncles and cousins.

Kim's little brother and my little brother were best friends.

Kim has been through a lot in her adult life, and I admire her strength and courage.

Kim made my wedding DVD for me.

Sunday she texted me and told me it was done, and asked if I could go to her mom's to pick it up.

I always love an excuse to visit Kim's mom and so I said I would meet her there.

What I didn't know was that Kim's entire family (aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents...) was also at Kim's mom's house.

Kim's uncle Mike answered the door.

"Come in, we're just watching your DVD."

And they were...all of them.

Kim's cousin is getting married the same day I am and so none of Kim's family can make it to my wedding. It's okay...I completely understand. Except that I think Kim's cousin is too young to be getting married. I remember holding him on my lap when he was about 3 or 4.

They wanted to watch the movie to feel like they were able to be a part of my wedding day.

At least that's what Kim's uncle Kevin said.

I haven't seen most of Kim's extended family in years. And yet as I stood next to Kim and answered the questions her family asked me, I felt as if I were back in high school, among the family I adopted as my own.

Friendships like that are rare...and as I drove away from Kim's mom's house I was a little bit teary eyed as my mind was filled with memories of happy times from my past.

Thanks Kim...for being there...always.


8 comments:

The Warrior in ME said...

How sweet is that! God bless your friendship forever and ever. I'll say a prayer to that.

WHY ARE YOU MAKING U ALL CRY "ALL THE TIME"? WHY???????

Sam said...

What a sweet post. :) So many friendships from high school don't last, so it's extra special to hear about the ones that do

Tiffany said...

A friendship like that is a precious thing. How lucky you are!

adreamygal said...

Thats reallly vyy sweeettt..Wish you guys be fnds forevr :) N hey advance wishes for happy maried life :)

Jamie said...

Everyone deserves to have a friend like that, especially you Noelle...because you you a so FABULOUS!!!

Kim seems like a Great Person and it is wonderful that her family is involved in your friendship too!!!

My Mee Maw (grandmother) would always tell me, "You can never have too many friends"!! So, I collect new friends all the time!

Little sister said...

Yeah...balling....still...

Mary said...

Everyone needs at least one friend or adopted family like that. 'Tis true that they are rare. It's like heaven smiling down on you.:)

Jense Family said...

Just so you know Noell as part of Kim's family we consider you part of the Family too!!! Sorry we wont see you on you special day so you better post lots of pictures. Good luck and we love you too!!!!