Friday, April 16, 2010

Instruction Manuals and the Like

If I were to write an instruction manual for husbands...and honestly speaking I really wouldn't, but if I were to write one it would have this as rule #1:

RULE #1 Husbands, always call your wife when you are out of town...even if you'll only be gone a few days. Your wife worries. She wants to know that you made it safely. She wants to know that you didn't have car problems. She wants to know that even though you're hundreds of miles away you're still thinking about her. She wants to know if you have a black eye from when you got clocked playing basketball. She will sleep better at night if you call her.

And then there would be this addendum to RULE #1:

ADDENDUM Calling your wife when you're only gone a few days is good practice for when you'll be gone for three weeks. If you can get in the habit of calling now, then by the time you're ready to be gone almost an entire month you'll have it figured out. Of course, your wife will make an exception when you're in the middle of the desert backpacking with your friends...she's not totally unreasonable.

Oh...and one more thing...memorize your wife's phone number...that would help.

5 comments:

Cheeseboy said...

Sounds like a great rule. Luckily I never go out of town without my wife.

Tiffany said...

These are very good rules. ("Although they're really more like guidelines" Captain Barbosa)

Rich used to travel for work. Two things:

First: I missed him. I worried about him. He did call every night and that was so appreciated.

Second: I would get jealous of the downtime in the hotel. Even though it was 'business' it still seemed like a little vacation to me. Let's see... no cooking. No throw up to clean when a child is sick. Sounds like a vacay to me! That's also when I learned to have empathy for single parents. Wow!

Rich doesn't really travel anymore and we're both happy about that.

Feeling Just Right said...

Awwww. Jason, just read that. I totally second all of that.

Also, please tell him to leave cute little voice messages for when you are unreachable.

If he doesn't get the worry part still, let him have a try. Stay unreachable for a day. He'll get it all. No manual required. Just a quick repeat performance in case of memory issues.

Jessica said...

LOL!

My husband couldn't call our kid's cell phones if he had to actually dial the number.
What is with that?

Judy said...

Funny you should post this when you did. My husband is out of town for the weekend and he forgot to call last night! He's so busted and should definitely know better!
It's a good thing I love him so much! :)
If you ever do write that, let me know and I'll pass it on to him. j/k