Saturday, May 8, 2010

What Mother's Day Looks Like

After working until 10:15pm the night before, I got to work this morning at:


These guys were already there:


They were busy making the nursery look pretty:



At 6:55am a customer came in and said, "Oh good you're open."

I turned my head to roll my eyes...after all it was 6:55am on a Saturday.

At 7:30am we realized the internet was done, and we were faced with the thought of taking credit card payments the old-fashioned way:

It could have been a long day but my brother came to the rescue.

It was chilly, but we were ready for business:


Due to recent painful sunburns I came prepared with sunscreen and a hat to protect my poor nose. Both my grandpas had skin cancer on their noses...maybe the hat will help to prevent the trend. (Plus...with a hat I don't have to comb my hair!)

The man in charge of creating all of the loveliness:

The same man helping others to create their own loveliness:

When you just need to get away...to stop helping customers for one minute...run to the bathroom and you'll be safe...

My sister might have been saying this: "Dad, these contractions are killing me! I want this baby here NOW!"

After telling the 102nd customer to turn right, and watching them turn left, we finally got smart:

People ask all the time: "How do you water everything?"

Pretty much just like this:


Right around this time:

My dad and I took a small break to rest our tired and aching feet:

In the early evening it threatened to rain and we were happy...maybe rain would allow us to get home at a decent hour.

Becca and Kyle were having an argument.

"It's a pagoda," Kyle said.

"It's a lantern," Becca said.

And she got the book out to prove it to him.


No matter what it is called, Kyle couldn't get out of moving it.

At the close of the day Sami and her sisters came to visit and to check our pulses.




Grandpa said, "Sami, if someone didn't know how delightful you are, you would scare them."

Sami smiled and said, "I know."

As I looked forward to the thought of coming home I realized that I have this to look forward to first thing Monday morning:

We closed the gates at:

And as I was leaving she pulled up...

And how could you turn her away?

I sold her some flowers and she went merrily on her way...

To square dance.


My mom probably doesn't get the credit she deserves on Mothers Day.

By the time we get to her house Sunday afternoon we're pretty much beat and we find whatever corner we can to take a nap in.

But she knows we love her...a lot...because if we didn't...I can guarantee we wouldn't get to work at 6am.

To all of you...HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!
































11 comments:

-stephanie- said...

What a fun, sweet post. Thank you for staying open for that sweet square dance lady. Don't know why I'm thanking you, I don't know her from Eve, but I'm happy you stayed open to serve her. Thank you for the Mother's Day wishes.

Cheeseboy said...

Ha ha! That lady looks so sweet. Is this your busiest day of the year? Has to be. Glad you survived and lived to blog the story.

Tiffany said...

Loved this post!

I feel like I got to go to work with you! (Just so you know, I could see myself giving directions and using my years of experience to answer people's pressing plant questions. I'm completely unqualified... but I was right there by all you Platts for a second)

Sorry that good man of yours isn't around to rub your back and feet.

By the way- so glad you helped the square dancing sista. I hope to be that darling in 20 years.

Happy Mother's Day Noelle!

Feeling Just Right said...

Wow Noelle! The pictures did so much talking! My favorite, undeniably- your dad's and your feet as you'll rested. So cute!

Grandpas getting skin cancer is scary. Carry your sunscreen around. The hat is so fun!

Love the pictures. Sami and her sisters are something! I love her "i know"!

Your hard work is making me cringe at how coolly i've been taking it. Will get to reading.

Happy Mother's Day to everyone who is a mum! God bless you :)

The Broderick Family Blog said...

Good work getting through the craziest day of they year! Everyone looked like they had a smile on their face. That's quite the last customer of the day. I thought I would come and visit, but I didn't want my car hit in the parking lot :)

Dominguez Family said...

Ahhh...May. What a lovely time of year.

Sandra said...

When Brandi and I drove by the other day, she told me that if we went and saw you on the 8th, she could plant a marigold. I told her it was probably your busiest day of the year and we would go see you after mother's day to get more than marigolds to plant.

Maybe I'll get a pagoda/lantern to go in the yard. And we'll make Kyle load it in the car.

Happy mother's day to you and your sisters and your mom. May you all have a good nap today.

Bossy Betty said...

Whew!!!! Bet you slept well that night!

Happy Mother's Day!

Marci said...

colter is a genious with the flowers...talented man.
i almost came in yesterday but thought better of it. maybe monday.;D

you really do have one of the most amazing mothers there are. i've often told people if i could pick a mom it would be yours.

that little square dancin grandma...too cute!!!

Jamie said...

I wish I lived closer...i would buy one of everything in the nursery: It is BEAUTIFUL!!!! I love the hat...definitely you!!
I love the feet picture...too bad Jason is gone, he might would have rubbed them for you (probably not your dad's though)!!!
The Square-Dance Lady is AWESOME!! Could she be any cuter and man, get a look at those legs...I wish mine looked that good. It has to be the dancing, that is what keeps her in such great shape!!!

Happy Mother's Day Noelle- I think you are fabulous!!!

Anonymous said...

Always love your blogs....thanks for constantly entertaining us! Love the the little grandma,what great legs, square dancing will do that to ya. Good luck having Jason gone. 6 wks is a long time. We need to get together-Cassie