Thursday, June 17, 2010

I'm Serious

This is going to be a post full of seriousness.

I'm serious.

It's because I've been doing serious things for hours now, and well...now I'm in a serious mood.

Laundry, cleaning bathrooms, scrubbing sinks, cleaning out closets, emptying the trash, doing arm exercises to try and turn the tide on the beginning stages of arm flab...

See...serious things.

And at the same time I've been watching a serious movie.

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.

Yes it is too serious. It's full of serious teenage angst.

And I've been wearing my granny nightgown, and that in and of itself should tell you how serious I am about life right now.

Jason hasn't even seen my granny nightgown...and he won't...because seriously, it's hideous...but it's the most comfortable thing I own...and it helps keep me in my serious mindset.

To add to the list, I've had some serious conversations today.

Like this one with my sister:

"Becca, what do you think of my ever so bright green shoes?"

"They're nice, except that they're orange, not green."

She was right...they were orange, not green.

Serious case of brain damage?

And then there was this conversation:

Hold on, you'll need background information. We have an employee who manages a new store we opened up this spring. It's a small store compared to ours, and if I'm being totally serious, it hasn't done as well as we had hoped.

This employee isn't a big fan of mine...maybe he's not a real fan of anyone, but surely he's not a fan of mine. (Between you and me, I think it's because I stopped laughing 12 years ago at his need to sing The First Noel every time he sees me.)

Anyhow...Dad stopped to check in with him tonight and he tattled on Becca. And Dad called to say to Becca, "He called you today and you didn't call him back." And Becca said, "You're right. It's my day off and I was somewhere with my phone turned off." Dad said, "Okay."

After Becca hung up the phone I said, "Seriously? He tattled? Is he 12?"

But then I remembered I had a question for Dad and so I called him.

Turns out the employee tattled on me too. I guess I don't ship him plants fast enough...never mind that 85% of the plants he asks for are impossible to find. After Dad finished telling me the guy's gripes I said this, "Hey Dad, why don't you tell him that the next time he has a complaint he should come to me directly. How bout that?" And then I said real fast, "Love you, bye" so that I wouldn't hear the rebuttal.

After I hung up the phone Becca said, "I can't believe you said that. You're excused for the green shoe comment."

See...it's been a serious day all around.

Jason will be home today and I am going to sit him down and have a serious talk with him.

The topics will include: where he's taking me for dinner, how many pairs of socks are really necessary for one man, why does the garage door hate me like it does... and then I'll show him the pile of things that need to go to the storage unit.

And now I'm going to take my granny nightgown wearing self to bed.

I'm tired.

Seriously.

11 comments:

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Seriously? Granny nightgowns are the best!

Feeling Just Right said...

Seriously, you've been so productive! Pat on the back my friend! Big pat on the back!

I wish I had done something at the beginning stages of turning into this round ballooned mass I have become. Good going for you. Keep turning those arms like wind-mills. That way, you won't have to keep rolling your whole self like I am having to do now.

I like that Jason hasn't seen your granny nightgown! Try this though- he may not notice it even if you hang it on the door upon his arrival. Seriously.

What are you doing in bright orange shoes? I am trying to imagine them. Bright green would have helped camouflage you in the nursery if orange-flamed John ever came, you know.

12 year old tattler needs to know that his boss might just switch his job profile and make him start scrubbing bathrooms and doing the laundry anytime now. How is he going to feel then???

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

Every time Aaron leaves town...I bust out my best moomoo.

You heard me right.

A moomoo.

And I look like a giant pinapple. But I don't care because it feels ever so gooooood!

Dazee Dreamer said...

I sooooo feel your pain on the 12 year old boychild. I feel like I work with a bunch of them. (as my flip offs mentioned today).

Another movie you have to watch when you are being serious as Missing in America. But have plenty of tissue handy.

Heather said...

Seriously. That is quite a day.

Please let me know the answer to that sock question. I think we should take a poll!

Beth Zimmerman said...

I so love my granny gowns! :) But you might want to change out of it before having a chat with Jason! :)

Stephanie said...

How funny...er, I mean serious :) Found you on New Friend Friday!

Tiffany said...

Sisterhood of the Traveling Granny Nightgown by N.P.L.

I think you could do it. A compilation of reflections by women in granny nightgowns, moo moo's and what have you. Serious.

I'm still wearing a maternity nightgown from 13 years ago. Hideous but comfy. And because we've been married for 21 years now, my sweet husband has, sadly, seen me in it.

Bossy Betty said...

Sleep helps everything!!! Hope you got some good time and if it helps, I really thought your comment to your dad was the right thing to say!

Katie's Dailies said...

I think Granny nighties are the best.

I think that tattle tales belong in pre school.

I think that orange/bright green pumps sound pretty cool.

Seriously.

The Chicken's Consigliere said...

I don't have any granny nightgowns-I hate the way they tangle around my legs. I have old, moth-eaten, yoga pants, though, and sadly, my husband has seen them. Often.