Sunday, June 27, 2010

Stories from the War...or Girls Camp

We're watching a movie...Sherlock Holmes.

Actually, Jason is watching the movie. I'm blogging so that I'll stay awake.

I've had a blah blah day. I bowed my head this morning during the prayer in church and as soon as I lifted my head and said 'amen' my vertigo kicked in with all of it's force. I wanted to stay as the girls were singing in church, and so Jason ran home and got my medicine. I spent the entire meeting with my head on Jason's shoulder, and as soon as it was over Jason walked me home and tucked me in on the couch...where I slept for the next several hours.

Tonight I have a vertigo hangover.

However, you didn't come here to hear about my latest bout of dizziness...you came to hear stories about camp. I'll oblige...except I'm not even sure where to begin.

Here are a few Girls Camp facts and then a story:

Fact #1: I had the LEAST amount of stuff...by far! And I got teased just a little bit about my ability to fit everything into a backpack.

Fact #2: I'm not a fan of potgut poop on my sleeping bag.

Fact #3: The hill we had to climb every single time we went to our cabin...also not a fan.

Fact #4: The bathroom being down the hill and up the road from our cabin made it so that we did our best not to drink anything after 5 pm.

Fact #5: Teenage girls = drama.

Lots o drama.

And finally, Fact #6: I'm lousy with a canoe. We, my canoeing partner (another leader) and I, could not go straight unless we were going backwards. The girls thought we were pathetic.

Sleeping next to me...until she sold out to the younger, more fun crowd, was 13 year old Amber. Ahhh...I love 13 year old Amber. I've never met a 13 year old with so much self-confidence. As we were blowing up our air mattresses and unrolling our sleeping bags Amber looked at me and said, "If I roll over on you I'm sorry. I'm a roller."

Amber laughs with her whole body and finds something to laugh about in nearly every situation. One night we were at the evening flag ceremony...our group of girls along with 10 other groups of girls...it was a quiet moment and we were about to put our hands over our hearts when Amber leaned over to me and said, "I've got a sliver in my butt." I laughed and she said, "No! Really! I do!!!" And then she did a little dance because it hurt. And she danced through the entire flag ceremony, and I did my best not to laugh.

Later that evening, after the sliver was successfully removed, but not by me, I was standing at the base of our hill talking to a group of other leaders. We had just finished with a hike and were saying our good nights. Miss Amber joined our circle and acted as if she belonged. When there was a pause in the conversation Amber said, "Want to hear what happened to me tonight?" And we said we did.

Amber and some other girls were running down the hill to the bathroom and one of the girls tripped and rolled down the mountain. Amber started laughing and couldn't stop and as a result 'peed her pants.' "I had to run back up the hill and get some more underwear. It's a good thing I packed extra," she said.

And then she said, "I have bladder problems. I even had to go to the urolopist once, but he couldn't find anything wrong with me."

When Amber realized (with the help of someone else) that it was urologist and not urolopist she laughed a lot, which made all of us laugh a lot.

Amber and I share a special bond from our week at camp...we're the only two who have wounds on our arms...wounds that come from catching our arms on random nails that should NOT have been sticking out of the wall.

Here's one more little tidbit before I find my pillow:

One night as I was nearly asleep I heard Shelby say this from the other room:

"If we ever get really close to falling off a cliff we just need to yell 'Crisis! Crisis! Crisis!"

I cracked up and then reached for my earplugs...


11 comments:

Cheeseboy said...

At least you had a cabin.

My wife is YW Pres and leaves next month. Don't think she is getting cabins. I am fairly positive that she has late night gigglers too though.

Tiffany said...

A warm welcome home! So sorry about the vertigo. Ick. Yay for drugs!! Hope you're feeling much better tomorrow.

I went to an orientation meeting for girls camp tonight. Our camp won't be until August and we're expecting around 140-150 girls. Fun! Because I'm a Stake leader I won't be in the trenches, I mean cabins, with the girls. I'll be up in the lodge. Sweet. I am looking forward to it. Where was your camp?

And a bit of advice... never hold it. No matter how far away the bathroom is... or you'll have to see a 'urolopist'. Love it.

Dazee Dreamer said...

kudo's to you for even going to girls camp. and why didn't you take out her butt sliver. I mean, really, weren't you two "sharing a room". wink wink

Feeling Just Right said...

Amber is my new inspiration! I love that she is so cool about herself!

You and vertigo, I don't like. Thank God that Jason was around. Are you better today- after the hangover??

No bathroom after 5pm makes my bladder hurt.

Be better. I'll say a prayer for you :)

Lalis said...

"Crisis! Crisis! Crisis!" I think I'm gonna use that... hahaha! Oh girls camp...! Oh how I [NOT] miss thee...

Kristie said...

This brought back many great memories of Camp Shalom.

Hope you're ok friend!

Sandra said...

I'm not good in a canoe either, but that's ok because I can't swim.

I hate it when the bathroom is that far away. Amber and I would be buddies.

I am sorry you didn't feel well yesterday. I hope you got to rest during the night.

Joann Mannix said...

You know what I have to say about all of this: Yegads! So, glad it wasn't me, especially glad it wasn't me taking the sliver out the butt.

Also, I wanted to love Sherlock Holmes, but it just wasn't very good.

Hope you're feeling better, girl. Rest up.

cathyjoy said...

what exactly is potgut poop?

jayayceeblog said...

That whole thing sounds like a hoot ... except for the nails. I love that Crisis Crisis Crisis line!!!

Beth Zimmerman said...

Hope you're feeling better by now! Amber sounds absolutely wonderful!