Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Walking With Worms

If you happen to see me today and you notice that my eyes are red and puffy, and my hair isn't combed, it's because I didn't sleep well and then had to get up early to be to work early. (If you happen to see me regularly you'll know that my hair is rarely combed...so that won't be a big surprise.)

One of my customers said, "I'll be at the nursery first thing to pick up a load of material." There's usually an hour or more difference between his first thing and mine. But since I'm the only one who knows what plant material he needs, I had to change my first thing. It's now 28 minutes past his 'first thing' and he's still not here. Good thing I brought my blow dryer to work...looks like I'll have time to comb my hair after all.

And if you're curious as to why I didn't sleep well...I blame it on the worms. Yes, worms.

Last night I was finally able to make it back to my favorite walking path along the river. It was beautiful, and the temperature was perfect. I didn't even turn my ipod on because I preferred the sound of water. It was beautiful...wait, I already said that. As I walked further into the canyon I began to notice webs in the trees, and tiny worms everywhere. Really. Everywhere. They were eating the leaves of the trees and doing a mighty fine job of it.

The worms not eating the leaves were hanging out over the trail...literally...hanging by their webs...and it seemed that they were always at eye level.

My walk went like this: take three steps, dodge a worm, take five steps, knock a worm off my arm, take three steps, look down and see four worms on my leg, take five steps, walk into family reunion of worms...and so it went, my entire walk. I didn't walk as far as I usually do but can you blame me? By the time I got back to my car I felt as if there were worms crawling all over me.

I shook my hair out, brushed off my arms and legs, and climbed in my car. When I was almost home I looked down and found a stray...a worm who wanted an adventure. I'm sure he got more than he bargained for when I threw him out the window.

Worms don't make pleasant dream material...this I know.

And in case you were wondering...it's now 45 minutes past 'first thing' and still no customer...

If you come into my office and see the door closed, and the blinds shut...don't bother me. I'll be taking a nap.

12 comments:

Feeling Just Right said...

Oww for worms. Hope you nap well. Hope the customer sleeps until late. AND hope the stray worm doesn't eat up the plants outside your house or worse, follow you to the nursery. Revenge is a bad bad thing.

Bossy Betty said...

Worm dreams, huh? Have you looked this up to see what it means? Do you want to? Hope your customer shoes up, roses in hand and apology in mouth.

Anonymous said...

I am completely intrigued by this worm story, are there any pics? Worms on webs? I thought webs were for spiders and caterpillars.

Joann Mannix said...

Eeeew. Worms are just eeewww.

Throw a worm at that customer of yours.

My daughter has ducks. The other day, their feed jar looked like it was going to tip over. I went into the pen and lifted up the feed jar to fix the straw underneath the jar and there were maggots. Maggots!

I thought I would die. I shivered all day.

Katie's Dailies said...

I think I would've slept in the fetal position all night, with my feet tucked up tight!

Hey, look at that---my comment rhymes! : )

Heather said...

Yuck. We had worms like that one year in college. If you were quiet you could even hear them landing on the sidewalk from the trees. People walked around with umbrellas to avoid them. Gross.
Ewwwww. Now I am squirmy!

Dazee Dreamer said...

oh my goodness. That totally reminded me of something that happened to me when i was a teenager. Hanging out with my friends. went into the house. sat down to watch tv. Felt a little tickling sensation. Looked down my shirt and there was a freaking inch worm. Just measuring away. Yikes.

aynzan said...

Worms !!!!! I get goose bumps even thinking of them...Sometime they cause an irritation in the skin..

CRAZYMOM said...

Oh my gosh. I am going to have nightmares just from reading your worm story. eeeeewwwwww!

Maybe you should take you customer for a little walk along that river.:)

Loralee and the gang... said...

Oh wow, did you call the county or something to have them come and spray those trees? Because if there were worms all over all of them, they could quickly decimate the trees in the area. We had that happen to a line of quick-growing trees that were about 4 years old. They came out and spray, and the trees recoverd. The next winter, we sold that house, and the new owners didn't do anything about the worms or bugs or whatever we had, and the whole row died. 80 trees, that I'd planted by hand. I was sick.

I hope you got some sleep in your office.

The Empress said...

Oh, naps...how good that sounds.

reedless said...

Did you see the story tonight about the girl that was attacked on this trail in Provo. Please be careful.