Thursday, June 24, 2010

Wedding Dress For Sale

Meet Rachel from She Just Smiled. I love this girl. She's full of life, and laughter, and light, and all other good words that start with L. We met in real life once...at our favorite little salad place in town. Did I already say I love this girl? Thanks Rachel, for posting for me!!! Next time you're in town I'll treat!



* * * * * * *



I am going to tell you a true story.

Some of you may think it's sad, but I think it's funny.

And maybe the real story is that there is a funny part to it.

It wasn't so long ago that I had a blind date with my blogging friend Noelle at Zupas... Where we shared our guts like we'd known each other for years, not minutes. She has a gift for that, you know. We talked about her fun love story (she was about to get married), and then we turned to my heinous-love-story-gone-bad. All of this over a bowl of cauliflower soup and a chocolate covered strawberry.

...I was not laughing about this story back then.

Once upon a time, I was engaged. His name was Edward. (Yes, this is a still a true story, and no, he was not a vampire).

I was very in love, and very confident that Edward was, in fact, the one for me.

(Fast forward to the heinous part where he drives all night to meet me at my favorite beach so we can talk.)

That "talk" was more like a few hours of
me staring at him
shaking his head
until he finally said the words,
"I love you. But I can't marry you."

Fast forward through the year of ensuing depression, anger, sadness, confusion, desperate attempts to change his mind, and infinite analysis of his actions, emails, and words...

... And finally, the realization that I will never be happy in a relationship in which I have worked so hard to change someone's mind about me.

Fast forward past all of that to a couple weeks ago when my best friend Amy came to visit me. I asked her before she came to help me figure out what to do with my wedding dress. The one that never got worn, and kind of felt like a really annoying rock in my shoe...

So we did what every girl that has a "NEW--NEVER BEEN WORN!!" wedding dress does...

Sell it on craigslist, obviously.

Amy laced me up in that dress, was careful not to tell me that I looked pretty, took pictures (with my face not showing of course), and then posted that baby on craigslist.

The last step of the craiglist process includes a word verification phrase.

At first we stared at it in unbelief... Not quite sure if our eyes were playing tricks on us.

Then we both started laughing so hard that we almost threw up.

Amy screen captured the image so I could eventually blog about it's irony.

But I think Edward and his family still read my blog, so this is a perfect forum to share.



Thank you word verification... I get it. He wasn't the one for me.

See, if the Man upstairs has a sense of humor about the hard things we go through in life, then we can too right?

Happy Thursday to all. (I hope Noelle hasn't had to kill too many mosquitoes with her bare hands!)
love,
RayRay

17 comments:

Baby Sister said...

That is hilarious and sad all at the same time. At least you can laugh about it now? Thank you for sharing. :)

cfoxes33 said...

I love God's sense of timing and humor!

Heather said...

Hilarious!!
Definitely a sign from above.
I am so glad you saved that screen shot.

(Hey..Did the dress sell?)


Nice to meet you!!

Beth Zimmerman said...

I'm glad you have reached the point where you can laugh about it! Pebbles in shoes are seriously annoying!

adrienzgirl said...

It would've been nice if you had gotten that message from the cosmos before heartache! :D

That is the best word verification I have ever seen!

The Chicken's Consigliere said...

I've long suspected there was more to that word verification thing than the obvious. What a great story!

Jessica said...

So funny! Thanks for having the presence of mind to take a picture of it! And for sharing!

...Have you met anyone named Jacob? 'Cause that might just work out for you. ;)

Feeling Just Right said...

Hey! I am almost crying in joy to see how you have healed and how God helped you heal.

"Edwardo wasn't"

Wierdo Edwardo.

A big hug to you. You are good girl. And I am so glad you are at peace.

I am laughing about it some more for you! Go girl!

Bless you :)

p.s. I love how Noelle's friends are so nice. It makes me smile :) :)

Andrea (ace1028) said...

Oh geez. That is so odd, eerie and hilarious all at once! :D

e. del mar said...

dear noelle, thank you for asking my sister to post. this story needed to be told. also, you kind of have the nicest blog-friends ever.

your friend,
emilia

jayayceeblog said...

Confirmation is a good thing! What a great story!!!

Karen said...

Wow, that's crazy! So glad you could laugh about it!! I, too, want to know if you were able to sell the dress?

Amy's Paradigm said...

If ever you weaken in your anti-Edwardio strength I am going to quote the word verification. Amazing story girl--and I love, love, love you!

Lalis said...

Oh wow... I think I about peed my pants laughing!

Venassa said...

That is funny. I think even through the pain I could laugh at something that ironic.
Thanks for sharing!

RayRay said...

To all who are wondering... the dress has not been sold... We discounted the price and reposted it.

If I told you this, you might think I'm making this whole thing up, but I promise I'm not.

word verification 2nd time around: "trying experience"

Not quite as amazing as the first one, but still sort of weirdly funny.

hugs to all!

Day Dreaming And Decorating said...

Wow that is to weird. I will give you this after being married for 25 yrs I have learned people dont really change and you are better off without someone that wants you too. It is really hard to live everyday trying to be someone you are not. Embrace yourself and if there is something that you dont like about you then change for you and you ONLY!
I did laugh at your verification thing but with you not at you