Sunday, July 18, 2010

It Might Be Too Much Information

The day before we left for our vacation I was sitting in my doctor's office.

The same doctor I've had forever. Well, not forever, but for as long as I can remember.

I imagine that he'll retire any day now, and then I'll go into a period of mourning.

The first thing he said after he sat down was, "Is your husband treating you well? You tell him if he's not I'll hunt him down."

And then he said, "So, why are you here?"

I told him that it was his responsibility to make me better. He is the doctor after all.

"What's wrong with you?"

I asked him if he wanted the short list or the long list. He settled into his stool and asked, "That bad is it?"

And then I gave him my list of complaints:

-I have zero energy
-If I don't eat every three hours I get so sick I think I'm going to die
-I'm nauseated every single day of my life
-Did I mention I have no energy?
-I've been dizzy every day for the last 10 days...oh and by the way, I need a new prescription for my dizzy pills
-I can't even go for a hike with Jason without feeling like I'm going to pass out

I'm sure the list went on...I had a sympathetic ear there.

"Has it occurred to you that you might be pregnant?" my doctor asked.

"You would think I was...considering I've got all of the symptoms...but BOTH tests I've taken have said I'm not."

(I didn't mention that just a few days before, my hairdresser told me about her friend's cousin's sister-in-law who took three different tests that told her she wasn't pregnant...and she was.)

My doctor decided to do two tests: a pregnancy test and a hearing test. The reason for the pregnancy test was obvious, and the hearing test was to see if my hearing has decreased since the last time he did the test a year ago. Dizzy spells like mine are usually accompanied by hearing loss...and if it's a significant loss they will diagnose me with a disease...one that they can't do anything about...so the diagnosis seems irrelevant.

After the nurses did their tests I waited until my doctor came back in. "You're not pregnant and you haven't had any hearing loss."

'And so you're going to fix me how?' That's what I wanted to say. Instead I just waited for him to finish his thought process.

"It would seem that you and your birth control don't get along very well. In fact, it would seem that every single one of your symptoms is caused by the birth control...except the dizziness...and well... for that...here's a new prescription for your medication."

As for the other he suggested I try Plan B as soon as possible...'because as long as you're on this pill you're going to feel this way.' He gave me plenty of options for Plan B...and told me the one he would recommend in my situation...my fingers are crossed. And so are Jason's.

Poor Jason.

After I had been off the medication for two days Jason said, "I can tell a difference in you."

"Oh...you mean I'm smiling and happy and can walk more than 10 steps without needing to take a nap? That kind of difference?"

My sister...bless her heart...she said, "You might have to warn Jason that he doesn't really know the real you." 'What is the real me?' I asked in my mind. She continued, "You know, you've never been as...well...ornery as you have been the last few months...well maybe not ornery, just emotional.'

I suggested she quit before she was in so far she couldn't dig out.

I woke up yesterday and thought, "I want to go hiking." And that friends...that is a big improvement...and today when my sister asked, "Noelle, will you hike Mt.Timpanogos with me?" I didn't crumble into a ball of tears at the mere idea...I said, "Yeah, maybe."

A letter to my doctor:

Dear Doctor,

If this lasts...this phase I'm in where I actually feel human again...you'll be my hero forever.

With affection,

Noelle

And just one more little thing:

Tonight after dinner we were talking and out of the blue my mom said, "Why is the dishwasher running? We haven't put anything in it yet."

Trouble was walking through the kitchen at the time and casually mentioned, "I did it. Yep, I did it," and then she went to join her sisters in watching a movie.

11 comments:

Baby Sister said...

Yay for Dr. Man!!

And Trouble is adorable! :)

Feeling Just Right said...

Awww that Trouble!

Your pills- I love that your doctor figured out what was happening. He is going to be your hero forever. Jason, please be happy with second seat. :)

Sister talk makes me smile. :) :)

For the first time, I am actually hoping that your next post is a happy, scary, dare-devil hiking story. All the very best! Hike it!

Jessica said...

I hope the new birth control takes care of it for you! Glad you're finally feeling better!

Dazee Dreamer said...

those darn birth controls. they are always causing some kind of havoc with the womens body.

I'm glad you are feeling better. But hiking Timpanogos, yikes, that is a killer.

And dang, I was totally wishing you would tell us you were pregnant. tear, tear.

Dominguez Family said...

I certainly hope you find yourself again. Glad you didn't loose any hearing. Who would I complain and vent too? I'd have to learn sign language.

Amy said...

Ha! Platt called your Dr. Dr. Man because that's MY Dr.'s name. Am I right Platt? :D That's funny.

Also I'm glad you're feeling better. Glad for you and for Jason.

Also I'm glad you wanna hike. Glad for you and for the mountain.

Also I'm glad your Dr. is watching out for you. :)

Joann Mannix said...

It is always such an empowering feeling when you go from feeling ick to superb. I'm glad the pills were the answer and just a little switcheroo, did the trick.

Although, I was holding my breath as I read for baby news . . .

Venassa said...

That's kind of amazing. I wonder if I went off would I start to feel energized.

Baby Sister said...

Haha. I honestly hadn't even thought of that Fugal. I called him Dr. Man cause I thought it would be fun to give him a nickname instead of using a boring real name.
Go me for being smarter than I thought! :)

Michelle @ Flying Giggles said...

Thank goodness you are feeling better. I wonder how many other people are affected by their pills like that. I was thinking about getting back on them, but I am already lacking in energy.

jayayceeblog said...

Your doctor rocks! It's amazing what we do to our bodies with birth control. The first time I tried to take the pill, I got so sick I ended up in the emergency room. No more pill for me. Ended up with an IUD -- and got pregnant. After my daughters were born, I finally just did a tubal ligation. I've always had wonky hormones. http://jayayceeblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/friendly-chat-about-hormones.html
The two best medical solutions in my life were the hysterectomy and lasik. =)