Wednesday, July 14, 2010

We're Coming Home

I've got pictures...lots of pictures...of some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen.

This is not an exaggeration.

The Colorado Rocky Mountains...majestic and quintessential (I just learned this word today)... I loved mountains before, but now...now...it's so much more than love...and for today my new favorite song is Rocky Mountain High, by John Denver.

Sadly, you'll have to wait until Friday for the pictures. (Because I'll be home with a real internet connection.) Trust me, it will be worth the wait!

In the mean time...

Did you know I'm a bathroom snob?

Using a public bathroom is almost more than I can handle.

Sharing a bathroom with more than one or two people...also almost more than I can handle.

I'm sure you can imagine then that sharing a bathroom with 30 plus people was almost more than I could handle. But I handled it because after all, we're family now. It makes me squirm just thinking about how many people used the shower.

See...bathroom snob.

It's funny though...when I'm off in another country I'm a lot more tolerant...

Port-a-potties, latrines dug by hand with worms squirming around in the bottom, the privacy of a tree...I take it all in stride and just keep a bottle of anti-bacterial soap close by.

A few years ago I was in Oregon with my dad. I was in serious need of a bathroom and asked him to pull over at the nearest store he could find. The store was a favorite of mine and I trusted that the bathroom would be clean.

It wasn't. I walked in and walked right back out. Dad looked at me and said, "Already?"

"No, it was gross."

Dad shook his head and said, "How on earth do you survive in Latin America?"

"Standards Dad. A girl has got to have standards."

I wanted to fill my water bottle today and as Jason was walking into a bathroom of a Visitor's Center he said, "There is a sink in the bathroom you can use."

When he came back out I shook my head and said, "I can't do it Jason. I can't fill my water bottle from the bathroom sink."

Standards. A girl has got to have standards.

Think there's therapy for this kind of snobbishness?

Maybe the guy we saw doing his business right out there in the middle of a field of wildflowers is a bathroom snob too.


9 comments:

Bossy Betty said...

Just got home from a road trip myself and totally understand the bathroom things. Looking forward to the pictures!

Baby Sister said...

I am the same way...

A girl needs 2 Talk said...

Standards, my girl!! you ought to have standards!!!! :D :D :D

I am having a heartyyy good laugh!

Btw, you know what?? I am bathroom snob, too!

Can't help myself.

And I don't see any cure.

We'll be waiting with garlands to receive you!! :)

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Nothing wrong with having bathroom standards. It's what separates us from the animals.

Dazee Dreamer said...

I hear you on the bathroom thing. I don't think you are a snob. I think you just like things the way you like them. I agree with everything, but no porta potties, wormy dug out holes, nothing of the sort for this girl. yuk, ick, gross.

Sandra said...

I am a total bathroom snob as well. And my whole family thinks its silly that I won't fill my water from a bathroom sink, not even my own scrubbed by me bathroom. There's just something about it that makes me shudder.

But the outhouse at my grandma's house? I'm totally fine with that.

Amy said...

Standards. Totally worth the standards. I'm on your team. Bathrooms are gross enough as they are. We don't need any extra reason to hate them.

Joann Mannix said...

I am a bathroom germaphobe. I could neeeeverrr fill my water bottle in a bathroom sink.

I have this great restaurant in my town. Not so much because of the food, but because they have the most wonderful bathroom. Get this, they have a sensor and when you wave your hand at it, the bathroom door opens for you. No touching of germy parts. I love that.

Glad you're home. Now we can all catch up.

jayayceeblog said...

I think I'm going to adopt your "Standards" line and use it for all occasions. =)