Monday, July 19, 2010

Young Love

If you ever...ever...say the word pocket within hearing distance of my mom, she will say Mr. Wocket in response. Here's an example:

"Noelle, where are your keys?"

"In my pocket."

"Mr. Wocket?"

Every time.

That's why I love her.

We're snuggled in bed...Jason with the remote and me with the laptop and my Aveeno Anti-Itch Cream. I'm going to be honest...I love being married to Jason.

Now, with all of that out of the way, do you want to hear about my first kiss?

I remember talking with my sister about my future first kiss. "I'll be so nervous," I said. "I'll probably have to apologize for being so ... 12 ... in kissing years." She laughed at me and said, "You'll figure it out."

We were going out for our third date. Our first two dates had been good...really good...and I knew he liked me. I was hoping he would kiss me but I was hoping he wouldn't kiss me too. Oh the angst of new love.

We had gone for a hike (hiking has always been in my blood) and were nearing our destination. We stood on top of a rock and looked out at the view...which was lovely. My date pulled out a thermos of hot chocolate and we stood side by side drinking it. I remember thinking what a romantic setting we were in and again I had a mental debate: "I hope he kisses me. I hope he doesn't kiss me. I really want to kiss him. No, I really don't want to kiss him." And so it went until my date interrupted my thoughts.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure," I replied.

"Can I kiss you?"

I looked at him for a minute and then timidly said yes. (Trust me, I thought I was going to die.)

As he leaned in to kiss me I repeated over and over again in my mind, "don't mess this up, don't mess this up."

I can't say there were fireworks with that first kiss...and to be honest, I've had much better kisses since then...but I'll always remember that moment. And I'll always be grateful to my date for being so gentle and respectful. When we pulled apart my date said, "You are a great kisser."

I think he was humoring me. In fact I'm sure he was humoring me. I was not a great kisser.

Sometime I'll have to ask him if at any point I got better at kissing.

Hold on. Pretend you're listening to elevator music for a second.

I just asked him. Jason still thinks I'm a great kisser. He says that's why he married me.







14 comments:

The Insomniac said...

This was the sweetest story ever!!! Awww....thanks for sharing!

Baby Sister said...

Awwww. Cute!! :D

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Awww. How sweet is that?

Jamie said...

Ain't love GRAND!!!

Here's to you and your kisser...

A girl needs 2 Talk said...

You two will always have me amazed! You'll are super cute! :) :)

Dazee Dreamer said...

aaahhhh sweet. I still love kissing my hubby and it's been 33 years since that first kiss.

Venassa said...

I miss the scary first kiss. That's great that your was with Jason. My hairdresser is married with kids in their 20s, and is still happily with her first boyfriend from high school. I love stories like that.

Kristin said...

How cool that you married your sweetheart! :))

jayayceeblog said...

That was so sweet it actually made me tear up! I just love Love!!!

Dominguez Family said...

I want to leave a comment because I know you like comments. ;-)

Nikki said...

So sweet! You have eternity to perfect it. :)

Amy said...

:D Just curious, he's not actually stupid enough to say he changed his mind and decided you're NOT a good kisser right?

Whew. Glad you married someone smart. :) And sweet.

RawknRobynsGoneBlogWild said...

That is very sweet. The thermos with hot chocolate was a very suave move on his part.
xoRobyn

Lani said...

What a cool story...