Monday, August 2, 2010

House Cleaning

How do you feel about Mondays?

I feel mostly indifferent about them, except that today I was really wishing it were Saturday again so that I could sleep a little longer.

Actually, I did sleep a little longer, and now I'm at work with wet hair. Sleeping a little longer = no time to dry/comb my hair.

Our weekend was full of very important things:

laundry
cleaning the house
eating at Cafe Rio
family reunion
teaching Jason how to fold his shirts

That last one...the folded shirts...that's proving to be a bit tricky...

Obviously we've got a ways to go:

When I walked in to Jason's office last night (yes, this is his office) to take this picture he said, "Is this for the blog?" I mentioned that it might be and he said, "You're going to slander my name." Good thing he loves me.

He's really going to love me after this...

Remember when I casually mentioned that Jason said I was being irrational?

I got this comment from Joann:

And what will also not do is your husband saying that word in the context of you, you know that i word.

23 years of living with me, my husband has learned, usually the hard way, that it is not a keen idea to point out I am being overly dramatic or irrational when I am just simply having a moment. He has learned to understand my need for a moment and he has also learned to just hug me and tell me everything's going to be all right.

I read the comment to Jason and he asked, "What? Did you tell her to write that?" (Because I had just finished telling him essentially the same thing.)

My response was, "It's universal honey. Any woman in the world would tell you the same thing."

Bless his heart...he's a good one that husband of mine. He suggested I make a list of all of the words he can't say and he'll memorize it.

Hold on, I better make it up to him...he might think I'm picking on him with this post:

Dear Husband,

I think you're HOT!

Love, Your Wife

do you think that will do?

Oh...I just remembered that I have a question for all of you who are much wiser than I...

My washer stinks. In the literal sense of the word.

If I leave clothes in there for longer than an hour they stink too.

I've tried running it with just hot water and Clorox, but that doesn't do anything.

Any suggestions?

And now that I've wasted 4 minutes of your day...

16 comments:

TJ said...

you could try vinegar. or baking soda. or even tea tree oil. maybe that would work. or, you could just get a new washer. :)

Melanie said...

so happy to find your blog today! I can't wait to read more of your posts!

Melanie
~ melscoffeebreak.blogspot.com ~

Sara M. said...

My washer stinks too! How can this be? I am a super clean person. I hope someone has a good remedy for this.

Mandy said...

You are so cute.

And I don't know what to do about a stinky washer :) Good luck though!

Baby Sister said...

Jason makes me laugh. I don't know how he can live like that...
If you need help with the list, let me know!

Heather said...

I hope my husband stumbles across this. We have not quite come to an understanding about i word either.

Joann Mannix said...

Ohhhh, your spy husband is so going to hate me now! And you want to know something funny? I had another blog friend whose husband works out on oil rigs for extended periods of time. she wrote about him forgetting her birthday and how he could have pre-planned something. I forgot what I wrote to her, something about men not understanding our need to be remembered and cherished. I don't know exactly, but on one of his precious limited phone calls to shore, she read him what I wrote!

The husbands of America are going to hate me, like they hate Oprah! Oh dear.

It is true though. If they could just learn what we need and work within those guidelines even if they don't understand it, they would have very happy wives.

Joann Mannix said...

And I don't know what to do about the stinky water either. I think it might be your water because it happens to me every once in awhile and I don't think there's much you can do about it. But, I don't know about stinky water. I only know how to give unneeded advice to husbands who don't want it.

Dazee Dreamer said...

There's a product, that I think Tide makes, that called something like Washer Clean. My cousin has used it and she said it's awesome.

Dominguez Family said...

Try white vinegar. Here are a few "words" to let Jason know to avoid in a marriage. Emotionally unstable. Exgirlfriend. PMS. And a good phrase he should avoid, "That's not how my mom makes it." Oh, one more phrase, "Well, my last girlfriend..."

Jessica said...

Wise words Joann. And it seriously is a universal female thing!

Sandra said...

Jason, learn this along with the list- What can I do for you, honey?
Repeat it after me. Good. Memorize it. Then do it.

There will be a test.

As for the stinky washer, I second the white vinegar treatment or the washer cleaner stuff. I find that vinegar works just as well and I have it around.

Sometimes it is water trapped in the hose. have Jason check and make sure that the hose is draining properly and not backing up or sitting there stagnating because that gets gross.

Do you have a second rinse option on your washer? If you do, try running it with heavy loads such as jeans or towels. I have also found that that makes a difference with my clothes. (though since my washer runs almost 24/7 the sitting clothes is not so much an issue- unless one of the kids uses it Sat. night and "forgets" until Monday evening.)

A girl needs 2 Talk said...

THAT is Jason's office? The number of things he has could put a smuggler to shame.

Stinky clothes? Hmm. Leave that washer in your parents' house and steal theirs. Trust me. The Mother will find a solution.

Jason, :D :D :D don't worry. We like you.

jayayceeblog said...

My Hubby no longer uses ANY words to describe me. He just gives me a long, searching look and then goes to the store to buy me a brick of dark chocolate. It only took 25 years to train him to do this! =)

Leave the lid open so it can really dry out?!?! Obviously, I'm clueless.

Debbie Gardner said...

I used to work for whirlpool and here is the answer we always gave. Fill your washer with HOT water, when the machine stops filling it will be below the "lip" in your washer. (the lip being BELOW the rounded plastic at the top of the wash basin) you need to dump hot water into your wash machine until it is over the lip but is still below the hard rounded plastic.

then dump ONE cup of bleach into the washer and set your washer for the longest wash cycle possible and let it "wash" for about 5 to 10 minutes. after it has "washed" for 5 to 10 minutes push the selector knob (the knob you use to choose your wash cycle) in to stop the cycle and let your washer sit for a about 45 minutes and then pull your selector knob out to let you washer was again for another 5-10 minutes. you will begin to see black stuff and bits of hair and lint floating in the water... this is a VERY good thing!

After it has washed for 5-10 minutes push the knob back in to stop the cycle and let your washer sit for a few hours... preferably over night. In the morning pull the knob out and let the washer complete the remainder of the cycle and it will smell no more!!! I hope this helps good luck!

Anonymous said...

My suggetion is to always leave your washer open when there are no clothes in it. It helps to air and dry it out so that water that is left over doesnt go moldy this is a huge problem with front loaders. I'm not sure however to get the current smell out. Some of the suggestions sound like they should work though, good luck. -Cassie