Monday, August 9, 2010

A Post In Which I Whine A Little Bit

If you hear whimpering coming through your speakers, don't be alarmed.  It's just me.
I'll be whimpering a lot during the coming week.
And by whimpering what I mean is I'll be whining and saying a lot of things like "I think this is a bad idea" or "I don't think I can do this," or "Are you sure about this?"

We're going backpacking in the Uintah Mountains this week...and well...I think it's a bad idea.  That's what I whispered to my mom yesterday as we were standing at her stove making fry bread for Navajo Tacos. 

But here's the thing:  I have to go.  I have no choice.  And so while I'm whimpering and whining to you, I'll be all 'I'm so excited!  This will be so fun!' when I'm around my sister and my husband.  (Except that they both read my blog so they'll know I'm lying.)

A hundred years ago we read a book called Return To Red Castle.  And by we I mean all of my sisters, me, my mom, and even my dad, because he wanted to know what the fuss was all about.  Red Castle, in the Uintah Mountains, was the setting of the book...and born within all of us was a desire to hike to Red Castle.  Last year was the closest we got to hiking Red Castle but then Dad cut his head open and needed a million stitches, and the trip was cancelled.

Last year you wouldn't have heard a single whimper coming from me.  But last year I had been working out every day, and I had been hiking at least twice a week...and I had summited Mount Timpanogos twice in two weeks and ... and ... and ...

So when my sister called and said "We're hiking Red Castle next weekend" I said "Okay" and then kicked myself.

Here's part of my dilemma:

When my husband, who I absolutely love and adore, sent me a message that first time (we met on an online dating site) he did so because these were the pictures he saw on my profile:


On top of Mt. Baldy, with Timp in the background
     
On top of Mt. Timpanogos

See...he thinks I'm tough.  He thinks I can climb anything.  And I could have...a year ago.

I'm whimpering again.

BUT...

My husband loves me and he's promised that I'll stay warm and that I can indeed hike the 20 plus miles we're going to hike, and that I won't die.  And with those promises I'll go and take lots of pictures so that you can feel like you went too.  That's just the kind of person I am.

Oh...and one more reason for whimpering?

Jason has introduced me to the X-Men movies...we've watched three and I'm just waiting for him to come home again (he's out of town) to watch the final movie.  Well...with Wolverine being the main character of the movies, and remembering back to the wolverine attack that happened in the book Return to Red Castle ... I dream at night of being eaten by a wolverine, and last night the wolverine turned into Godzilla and it wasn't pretty.

*whimper*




12 comments:

Dazee Dreamer said...

First of all, yikes. a freaking 20 mile hike. breathing, breathing.

But you can do it little buckaroo. I have complete faith in you.

And I'll keep my fingers, toes and boobs crossed that the wolverine won't get ya. :)

Heather said...

20 miles is a long way. Is there a Pizza Hut somewhere out there? Taco Bell?

I am sure you are every bit as tough at your husbands thinks you are and you will do fine.

(Wolverines aren't real are they?)

Julie said...

Oh girl you can do it. I KNOW YOU CAN!!! Yes you'll pant a little bit, yes you'll whine a little bit but in the end you'll be so proud of yourself for going, for doing, and for being with your family. You go and enjoy, take some pictures and please share with us. I would so love to see some mountians. I went climbing last week for the first time ever, a climbing tower that is but I did it.
Take care and have a blessed Monday!!

Sandra said...

You can do this. I know you can.

Remember when I told about my first hike to the waterfall and how supportive you were. If I can do that (in 8 minutes now, thank you very much) you can do this hike. Just remember- whine all you want, but don't say I can't.

Seriously, though? 20 miles is a lot of miles and 20 miles hiking is even more. (don't you love girl math?) But I am sure you can do it and when you come home you can take a long, hot soak in a bubble bath. Besides, you have those new hot purple soled shoes to break in. What better way to do it than hiking?

Venassa said...

You can do it!
I, on the other hand, get winded walking up 3 flights of stairs.
But I wish you luck!
I want to get into the X-Men movies, especially since you can get the set of 3 for only $15.

Anything Fits A Naked Man said...

You can do it!! One step at a time!!

Just wanted to drop by and thank you for visiting and commenting on my blog. I really, really appreciate it! I'm so glad you did, it brought me here, and I just LOVE the title of your site!! One of my FAVORITE phrases, EVER!!

I'm your newest follower, cheers!!

Cheeseboy said...

I did 35 miles in the Uintas once. One time. 6 days. Never again.

The entire time, all my buddies and I did was talk about food: what we were going to eat when we were done. By day 6, my buddies were looking pretty tempting.

We stopped at Wendy's on the way home, and I kid you not, I ate 3 DOUBLE burgers! I have never been so hungry in my life.

Cheeseboy said...

BTW, I did not mean to discourage you, but I probably did.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Good luck! You can do it!

A girl needs 2 Talk said...

Oh, you talk of being eaten in dreams, too.. I feel for you!

Noelle, my darling, you can SO do it. And you know what? I believe you ARE going to be so excited and love it. Once you're out there, you'll know.

I finally see your profile pictures!!! Cute! See how happy you look there?!

Amy said...

I can't wait to see the pictures!

Shelayna said...

Love your pictures!!

shelblogs.blogspot.com