Wednesday, August 4, 2010

What Do You Think?

*tap tap tap*

That's me tapping on your computer screen.

If you are reading this in your reader, stop. Click over to my blog and tell me what you think of the new design.

That sounded bossy. Let me try again. If you are reading this in your reader will you be so kind as to click over to my blog and tell me what you think of the new design? Please?

Is that better?

I have a million things running through my mind and I'm going to try and get a few of them into this post.

First there's this:

My cousin, who is lovely, really lovely, just had twins. They're twin girls...and they have some health issues...one of the girls has to have heart surgery as soon as she's strong enough, and the other may have to have surgery as well. My cousin is far from home, with her husband going to medical school, and she's feeling a little blue. Will you be so kind (again) as to stop by her blog and leave her some love? And then maybe would you pop in from time to time to see how's she doing?

Next there's this:

I got the hiccups tonight and Jason thought it hilarious that they wouldn't go away.

"Do you know how they can stop?" he asked.

"Yes, you could scare me, or I could hold..." I couldn't finish the sentence because he screamed "Ahhh" at me, and then I jumped a mile high and screamed even louder. Last I checked Jason was still laughing, and I still have the hiccups.

Or this:

I went bowling the other night with some girlfriends I haven't seen since high school. It was good to catch up with the girls, and I took second place which ain't too shabby, but my back still hurts from bowling...which is such a lovely reminder of just how long ago high school was.

Maybe this:

Do you think anyone would notice if I shot out the street light on the corner? The light shines right through our bedroom window and makes it near impossible to sleep. Let me clarify that. It makes it near impossible for me to sleep. Jason has no problem.

And then:

If I had had whatever it is I'm going to shoot the light out with at work today, I might have used it on a few customers. There are days I'm not a fan of people...especially those who carry an air of entitlement.

However:

I did help a girl who reminded me that not all of humanity needs to be shot. Her son died two years ago next week. He was a little guy and the cause of death is unknown. She planted a tree by his grave, and the tree died. (Does it get more tragic than that?) The tree died through no fault of her own. We had a hard winter, and the tree is only marginally hardy here. When she told me the tree died, and the story behind it, I ordered her a new one, free of charge. Because you see, it has to be that tree.

The tree was a magnolia, a grafted variety. That means the rootstock is one type of magnolia, and the part of the tree that blossoms is another variety. The rootstock has one green shoot coming up from the ground, and with that one green shoot she wants to do the impossible. She wants to graft the green shoot onto a branch of the other kind of magnolia, and make it grow.

She simply can't bear the thought of having to dig that dead tree up.

When I told her I didn't think it could be done she started to cry, and then I started to cry and there we were...two strangers sitting in my office crying. And after a minute I heard myself telling her that I would do everything I could to accomplish the impossible. She cried harder and thanked me.

She has another son...one who is just a few days away from being the same age her first son was when he died. She can't sleep for fear of losing her second son to the same unknown fate. You'd cry too if you heard this story wouldn't you?

She left with hope in her heart and I'm going to wait until the next few weeks are past before I tell her again that it's impossible. (But not before I make 150% sure it really is impossible.)

And now:

I find that my mind is suddenly blank.

I think you should know one more thing: I made dinner tonight. Chicken Enchiladas. My mom gave me her recipe but oh my honk, it would have taken a PhD to figure that out. My sister-in-law, who I love like a sister (and it's a good thing because one time she, my brother, and I all shared a king size bed at the Marriott in Times Square...ahh...memories) came to my rescue and gave me an easy recipe that turned out delish...even if I do say so myself. But Jason said so too. Gracias hermana!!!

Okay, I think I'm done...

17 comments:

Feeling Just Right said...

When I came to your blog, I jumped. I jumped because I wondered where I was.

And then, I looked. I LOVE the header. It speaks of you. I love that the birds look like they flew out of the header.

New design: gorgeous. :) :) :)

I have a doubt. Don't laugh. Didn't Baby Platt write a post two days back where she showed us a picture of her star earrings and necklace with the name-tag "Hermana"?? I'm confused. Explain.

Yay for awesome cooking!

I feel for the lady. I once felt as bad when a plant I had planted for similar reasons died, too. Her plant will grow. I will pray.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

I think the picture on the header of your blog is absolutely stunning. Did you actually take that yourself?

Jamie said...

I love the new look...but, you knew there would be a but...that crazy girl in Alabama who says she is your friend always has to have a but!!!
I think you need a Happier Font...the plain is not working for you...step out a little, be brave, show your happy side, be adventerous!!
If not, I will still come and read...because I like you not matter the font!

Sandra said...

A) Love the new look- truly beautiful. I saw it last night after class but was too tired to leave a comment.

1) Will head over to share some momma love.

2) I haven't had the hiccups in years. Now I have probably jinxed myself.

3)Congrats on second place.

4)I used to feel that way about the corner street light, then they built a church in my backyard. Now I have parking lot lights to contend with. I prefer the corner street light. (But a church parking lot is better than 40 houses plus dogs et all)

5) Maybe I'm glad I didn't stop in on my way home from the MTC yesterday morning.

6)With God all things are possible, so maybe...

7) Love chicken enchiladas and have 3-4 different variations on a recipe (did I not give you even one?) In fact, we are having Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas tonight. Oh, yum.

Dazee Dreamer said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your new look!!!!! Such a beautiful picture.

You are such a good soul. That woman will always remember you, and your kindness. What a sad story.

Amy said...

Love the new layout.

You just never know with all of us praying that the tree-grafting business works....nothing is impossible.

Anonymous said...

I love the new look!!! I had fun bowling with you, we need to do more together, hope your back recoops fast :> Cassie

Dominguez Family said...

Let me know if you get the tree to live. I didn't know you could grow any type of magnolia out here. That is my mom's very favorite tree on earth. Being from Virginia she grew up with them everywhere. I'd love to someone find out that a variety could be grown in eastern washington. ;-)

Baby Sister said...

Love the new look...
The story made me cry. I hope you can figure out how to make it possible...ask dad. He's smart. :)
Glad you found an easier recipe. That one was rough! :)

-stephanie- said...

I was going to tell you your new design is beautiful. Now stop the tapping! I can't get any sleep around here with all that tapping going on. And you think you have problems with a streetlight. I have noisy bloggers! ;o)

I'm going to pray that tree does the impossible.

Your new blog design is softer and relaxing. Very nice.

wjmom said...

I'm weird because the layouts aren't that important to me--I just care about the words.

Love your words!

Also, the picture at the top is STUNNING!

The Empress said...

Your new design is airy and so breathy. I like it.
I'm so sorry about your new friend who lost her baby, I cannot imagine....cannot.

Kristin said...

I love the new design! The photo header is gorgeous!!! Sounds like you've had quite a week! So sweet of you to help the woman who lost her child. I can't imagination what that must be like for her.

Melanie said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! btw, LOVE the new design! ... and I don't think I've ever been 'tapped' at on a blog.. very effective I might add. :)

have a great day!
Melanie

~ melscoffeebreak.blogspot.com ~

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT!!! Thanks for all the smiles, tears and special moments you share with us.

Chuck and Eliza said...

I loved that story about the woman and the tree. It was very humbling. Sometimes crying with a stranger is the best kind of therapy. Thank you for thinking about me right now. I really appreciate all the love and support from your family.

Venassa said...

I love the new design! That photo is amazing. I am going to head over to your cousins blog when I'm done here! Your hiccup story made me laugh out loud. Nothing worse than street lights shining in a bedroom window. Been there.
The customer story is quite sad. People crying almost always make me cry. Hopefully you will find out that maybe it is not impossible. Sounds complicated though, with my tiny knowledge of nature.

Hope you have a great weekend!