Sunday, September 12, 2010

Great Things Can Happen In Six Months

My 3-year-old niece Sami, who you know as Trouble, has a bruise on her eye. 
Trouble's cousin asked, "Sami what happened to your eye?"
Trouble shrugged her shoulders and said, "It got hurt."
Trouble's cousin asked, "How did it get hurt?"
Trouble, busy playing with something, shrugged her shoulders again and said, "It got hurt."
Trouble's cousin asked one more time, "But Sami, how did it get hurt?"
Trouble, finally at the end of her patience, looked at her cousin and said, "That just what my face do!"

As I was cracking up over her response Trouble's mom told me this:
After changing her clothes four times yesterday Trouble's mom finally asked, "Samantha, why do you keep changing your clothes?"
Trouble looked up at her and said, "That just what girls do mom."

*****

Before The Lion King started on Friday night my sister and I got something to eat.  The only place we found that didn't have an hour plus wait time was a little hole in the wall Mexican restaurant called The Blue Iguana.  To be accurate, it was a hole in the basement, not a hole in the wall.  As we looked down the stairs to the door of the restaurant we saw many neon signs advertising beer.  My sister looked at me and said, "Maybe we should find somewhere else to eat." 

(We don't drink...not even a little bit...and after seeing all of the neon signs my sister was a bit apprehensive.)

Now, if you know me at all, you know that I NEVER turn down a chance to eat Mexican food.  And the more authentic the food, the better it is.  I knew that this little hole in the basement would have authenticity coming out of it's ... enchiladas ... and I wanted to eat there.  As I started walking down the stairs I looked at my sister and said, "Just because they sell it doesn't mean you have to drink it."

I was right.  There was authenticity coming out of the burrito I ate and I was a happy girl.

*****

Today is a big day friends.  A BIG DAY!  No, it's not my birthday yet...that's still two weeks away...today is something bigger than my birthday.  Can any of you guess what it is?   It's our sixth month wedding anniversary.  6 MONTHS!  We've been married longer than we knew each other before we got married. 

I've given a lot of thought to the last 6 months...the things I've learned...the person I've become...the man I love...and I've come up with one thing I want to tell you...one thing that stands out above everything else.  I hope that you'll take what I tell you to heart...as that's where it's coming from...my heart.

Giving up a girl roommate for a boy roommate has one drawback.  The boy roommate can't help you with your hair.  There you go...that's the one thing that stands out above everything else. 

My hair has two styles: hanging in my face or pulled back in a ponytail.  I don't do anything else.  And it's not because I'm lazy but because I can't do it!  I really can't do anything else.  (You can imagine me saying that with a whine...because if I were to say it out loud, you can trust I'd be whining.)  When I say that I'm going to cut my hair my sisters roll their eyes at me.  Becca even goes so far as to mock me.  "You know right, that if you cut your hair you actually have to style it...maybe even with a round brush ... you know you can't do that."

And she's so right.  Oh...the shame...

Do you know that when I lived with my sister she would have to curl the back of my hair for me?  I can't even manage that very well.  And do you know how many times I've wanted to ask Jason to help me curl the back of my hair? 

And there we are, back to the one drawback of changing from a girl roommate to a boy.  This morning I went a little crazy...maybe it was the pancakes I ate for dinner the night before...I'll never know... but I tried to braid my hair.  One simple braid.  After the third try I looked at my braid and hung my head in defeat.  There was one strand of hair out of the braid...the same strand I had missed the first two times.

I walked out of the bathroom and tentatively asked Jason, "Can you braid?"  He can't.  I turned to put my hair in it's usual ponytail when my sister walked through the back door.  I handed her my brush, sat on the arm of the couch, and said "HELP."  She helped.

I'll tell you this though, if you take hair styling out of the picture...in every other way, I married the man who is perfect for me.  And I love him.  And I just wanted you to know.

And Jason, I just wanted you to know:

16 comments:

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

That's sweet. And hairdressing, like any other skill CAN be learned.

-stephanie- said...

Happy 6th month Anniversary! I guess asking a future husband if he can do hair is not on your mind at the time. Oh well, he's everything else for you.

Lovely header picture. Is it Spring by you? ;o)

Sandra said...

I have always wanted to eat at the Blue Iguana- I love authentic.

All my boys help Jessica with curling the back of her hair- Have Becca teach Jason- he can do it. I have faith in him.

If it was a french braid you were trying, doing your own is really hard and the longer your hair the harder it is.


And sometimes cutting your hair in an easy to care for style is ok. That is the kind I have to have because I can't style my own hair either- my girl's or someone else's no problem, mine? not so much.

Venassa said...

That's cute. I am also horrible when it comes to hair. My sister makes it look so easy, but I mess everything up. Mine is either up or down, nothing in between.
Yay cardboard love!

Jared said...

Rachel and I have actually eaten at The Blue Iguana. We thought the food was great.

Dazee Dreamer said...

First of all, LOVE THE NEW LOOK!!!!!

Have Jason learn how to braid. It's not hard. I bet there are even How to Braid videos on youtube.

and HAPPY 6 MONTH ANNIVERSARY!!!!!

Baby Sister said...

Since when did I become Sami's cousin? ;)

Happy 6-months.

Joann Mannix said...

Trouble is right, that is exactly what girls do.

When we were first married, I was getting ready to go to work. For some reason, I have no idea why, my husband said he wanted to try doing my hair for me.

My hair is short and I have found that even most hairdressers have no idea how to style short hair on girls. They make it more complicated than it has to be. All you need is a blow dryer, some product and your hands. No big brushes, no curling, nothing.

So unwisely, I let my husband style my hair and he went to town with a big brush just swirling my hair in the strangest ways. Naturally, my hair ended up looking like someone who had been locked up in a mental institution for years. I had to completely redo my hair and I was late for work.

Be glad your husband doesn't try to style your hair. Be very glad.

A girl needs 2 Talk said...

Congratulations!!! 6 months is super cool! I am proud of you! & it amazes me that you'll still love each other!! :D :D :D

Sami, that girl! I love the sound of her!

Let's start to learn how to braid, okay? Have you ever tried braiding someone else's hair? It's very easy. You'll love it! Then, try little braids in your hair and you'll become a pro!

Heather said...

Happy Anniversary.
I once got my hair cut so short it didn't have to be styled....think GI Jane...are you up for that??

You (or Jason) can practice braiding while you watch tv or something.

Sam said...

Good strong name, that "Samantha" hehee :p

Happy 6th months!!!

Ahhh! I love hair. I used to want to be a hair dresser (and still might if this med thing doesn't work out), I'd happily style your hair. Just move to CT, and you've got yourself a deal!

On the off chance that you don't want to move, judging by what you've said about Jason, I'm sure he'd be up for the challenge! :p

Cheeseboy said...

So much fun and funniness in this post but...

"The Blue Iguana" a hole in the wall? Maybe but it is by FAR the best Mexican in Utah!

Judie said...

You sweet blogger,you! What a great post!

Jami said...

Happy 6 months! How did I miss that you didn't know each other that long before? I have 2 friends who got married after about 3 months. Both have been married 20+ years and are super happy. Pretty cool. I guess when you know, you just know. :)

jayayceeblog said...

Happy Half Anniversary ... you two are so sweet! Love the Cardboard Love, too. Maybe he'll learn to braid. We've been married 25 years and my Hubby painted my toenails for me recently. There is hope!!!

Tami B said...

Hey, when Jessa graduates from Hair school - which she is loving right now- she can do your hair and teach you how to do whatever you want. And you are family, she can't charge you much. :)
Love ya