Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Just Remember Baby Sister, I'm Your Favorite


My sister came into my office this morning and asked, "You haven't posted a blog today?!!"
I told her I was waiting for inspiration.
5 hours later when she came into my office she asked, "You still haven't posted?"
I told her I was still waiting for inspiration.

I'm still waiting...

My friend called me this afternoon and asked if she could stop by my office to talk for a minute.
I knew she was crying and I prepared for the worst.
She walked into my office, and without saying a word I wrapped her in a hug, and we both cried together.
After a minute she said, "Three to four weeks.  That's how long my sister has left to live."

What do you say to that?

I can't talk about it...not without crying...and another friend told me "Don't put this on the blog.  We'll all just cry."

So...in an effort to avoid tears all around...

How 'bout I tell you about the time I nearly ended Baby Sister's life?  (She probably doesn't know about this time...she was too young to even be traumatized.)

When Manda Lou (or Baby Sister to some of you) was just one or a bit older, I was home babysitting her.  My parents had a meeting every Wednesday night from 6:00 until 9:00 pm and I was in charge of Manda Lou.  One night Manda Lou and my cousin and I were all hanging out in my bedroom.  My bedroom was impossibly small and barely fit the bunk bed that I shared with my sister. 

My cousin and I got the brilliant idea to rearrange the bedroom.  We had it all planned out in our mind and knew just exactly how we wanted to arrange the bunk bed.  We moved Manda out of the way and began the process.  It was a lot of pull and a lot of shove and a lot of grumbling about how heavy the bunk bed was. 

We had the bunk bed halfway to it's new home when we heard a rather loud cracking noise.  We looked down and realized that the bunk bed was broken and there was no way we could move it an inch further.  There was no way anyone could have moved it an inch further...unless his name was Dad.  And we would have been perfectly content to wait for Dad except that the bunk bed broke right in front of the closed bedroom door.  We were trapped, and Manda Lou had a messy diaper, and I was hungry, and my cousin had to go to the bathroom and ...

I picked up the phone and dialed the operator and asked for the number to the office where I knew Mom and Dad were.  After several rings I got the secretary.  "Can I help you?" she asked.  "Yes, I'm looking for my mom or dad.  Is there anyway I can talk to Mr. Platt?"  The secretary paused and said, "You know they are in a meeting right?"  I told her that it was an emergency and really needed to talk to one of them.

I was on hold for several minutes before my mom came on the line. "Hello?" she said in a whisper.  "MOM! We're locked in our bedroom because the bunk bed broke and Manda has a messy diaper and we don't know what to do and I'm sorry I broke the bed and please don't be mad and when are you coming home and MOOOOMMM help us!"  I got all of that out before she spoke again.

"Noelle you know we won't be home until after 9pm.  You'll just have to wait there until we get home.  Dad will fix everything when we get home."  I hung up the phone in despair and said to my cousin, "We're stuck here for two hours...unless..."

You should never trust the 10-year-old version of myself when I say 'unless'.

My bedroom was on the second floor of an old rock home that was always under construction.  Outside my bedroom window was some scaffolding that had been there for as long as I could remember.

Imagine this without the ladder.  I said to my cousin, "If we crawl out the window and onto the scaffolding we could climb down and go back into the house through the front door.

The idea was a brilliant one except for one small thing: Amanda.

How was I going to climb down the scaffolding with Amanda in my arms?  As it was, I had to use both hands when I was only playing around on the scaffolding.  And the top of the scaffolding?  That was off limits and to climb to the top ensured certain grounding for life.

But this was a matter of life and death...(death would have been a result of the fumes from the dirty diaper)...and surely I would be forgiven the crime for which I was about to commit.

I took a deep breath and said to my cousin, "We can do this."

I opened the window and let the screen drop to the ground below.  I climbed out the window and let myself down onto the top board of the scaffolding.

"Okay, hand Amanda to me," I said to my cousin.  She handed Amanda out the window along with the plea, "Don't kill her."

I told Amanda to hold on to my neck as tight as she could and I began the climb down the scaffolding.  I held on to Manda with one arm and used my other arm to navigate the metal bars of the scaffolding.  It seemed like forever before we made it to solid ground again.

Amanda was crying like a baby - perhaps because she was a baby.

To be honest, I don't remember what happened when my parents got home.  I'm sure they praised my quick thinking.  Dad fixed the beds...he probably had to crawl through the window to get to them though.

Don't be mad Baby Sister...you're alive and well, and you survived without a scratch.

And now I'm off in search of rainbow sherbet.  Rainbow sherbet is to me what chocolate is to 99% of the female population.

12 comments:

Baby Sister said...

Ummm...I don't know if I approve...
My first thought when the cousin (whom I'm guessing was Michelle) said not to kill me was "Please don't kill me!!!!"
I know I'm alive...but because I don't remember it, I was a little freaking out as to what had happened.
That being said, I do trust you very much and I'm glad you took such good care of me and the messy diaper and recognized that I was crying cause I was a baby...

A girl needs 2 Talk said...

Noelle? True story, this?? Is this where you got primary hiking skills from? You climbed down from the second floor with a baby on your neck?? (absorbing all that) If I was the parent, I do not know what I would have said, except- "This kid has got guts!"

Praying for friend's sister & family.

-stephanie- said...

Is this the same sister who pleaded for a new post in the morning? See what happens? What makes me laugh is that your mom and dad stayed at the meeting.

I'm sad about your friend and her sister.

Amy said...

OK what was it about the bed that was broken that made it so you couldn't climb over or under it? And why couldn't one of you climb down and take care of the diaper situation and the other climb down? And if Manda was on the other side of the bed, how did you get her to you to go out the window? Poor girls (all of you) and brave Noelle!

Dazee Dreamer said...

You were a brave girl. I am terrified of heights so I'm just saying bravo.

Dominguez Family said...

Baby Sister...I too thought the cousin was Michelle and I can easily see those two hatching that plan. :-) Glad you made it to 2.

Heather said...

I have to go home and now and remind my kids never to climb up or down anything with their baby sister on their neck.
(And also not to move their beds.)

Nevermind I am never leaving the house again.

(I am sorry about your friend's sister.)

Judie said...

And I thought my early life was fraught with frustrations! You win, Noelle! HAHAHAHAHA

Sam said...

LOL! This is too funny! So glad your quick thinking got you out (we won't talk about the thinking that got you locked IN :p hehe jk) and I'm so very glad you didn't lose Baby Sister in the process!

Praying for your friend and her sister. I can't even imagine. :(

Cheeseboy said...

I am on such a blog dryspell right now too. Waiting for an inspiration or two.

You were very lucky. Glad that she pulled through.

jayayceeblog said...

Sounds like quite the adventure. I'd have probably been grounded for life. What horrible news from your friend about her sister! Poor thing!

Jami said...

Holy cow! Now I have one more thing to worry about my kids doing!! I would have had a heart attack if I was your mom. Then again, my oldest is 11 and I told him it was illegal for me to leave him alone at home until he was at least 12. That's the kind of mom I am. :)

Sorry about your friend. Nothing takes away that kind of pain. My heart breaks for her.