Monday, October 18, 2010

I Slept Right Through Sunday

I would like to tell you that we had a beautifully romantic weekend.
I would like to tell you about the amazing 5-bedroom condo we stayed in.
I would like to tell you about the gorgeous resort town of Steamboat Springs, Colorado.
I would like to tell you about the delicious steak dinner Jason's boss made for us.
I would like to tell you about Jason bringing me breakfast in bed.
I would like to tell you about the lovely earrings Jason bought me.
I would like to tell you about the book I read on the 5-hour drive from here to there.
I would like to tell you about a lot of things, but what I will tell you about is how I slept right through Sunday.

Sometime early Sunday morning I rolled over to snuggle closer to Jason and in the process of rolling I felt something shift inside of my head.  I was dizzy immediately.  I stayed still for a few minutes and begged God to stop this from happening.  I got out of bed and made my way to the bathroom to find my medicine.  It wasn't there.  I held myself up with the wall and slowly got back into bed.

I woke Jason up and asked him to find my medicine.  He went downstairs and came back a few minutes later with my pills and a drink of water.  It was too late.  I couldn't keep the medicine down.  The movement of simply lifting my head caused me to puke...and puke, and puke.  I couldn't lay with my head flat on the pillow.  I couldn't sit up.  I couldn't open my eyes.  I couldn't move.  My arm was stretched out on top of the bed-side table, and my head was half on my arm and half on a garbage can.  

Jason divided his time between pacing the floor and Googling vertigo.  He called my mom and she told him that he needed to get liquids down me.  "The more dehydrated she gets the worse the vertigo will get.  You need to get her to drink something and she needs to take her medicine."  

My mom said, "Can I talk to her?"  Jason handed me the phone and I managed to lift my head up off the garbage can long enough to put the phone to my ear and whimper, "Mom."  It was pathetic.  Really, truly pathetic.

"Go to the hospital Noelle."

Go to the hospital...such simple words, but an impossible task.  I couldn't open my eyes without puking and now I was expected to make it down two flights of stairs to the car.  Jason and Matt, Jason's co-worker, practically carried me to the car.  It was when we got to the first landing that I nearly passed out.  Thankfully Matt was behind me and caught me before I fell to the floor.  Poor Matt.  He deserves a gold star for holding me up while I puked into that stupid garbage can.  I remember telling I was sorry and he told me not to worry.  

Jason drove me to the emergency room of the local hospital and ran in and got a nurse and a wheelchair.  The rest is kind of hazy.  I kept my eyes closed the entire time I was in that ER, except for when the doctor said, "I need to look in your eyes."  I wouldn't be able to point out the nurses and doctor even if my life depended on it.

They asked me questions, put an IV into my arm, and pulled my hair into a ponytail, and all the while I puked into the garbage can.  They gave me saline, they gave me medicine to stop the nausea, they gave me medicine that would knock me out...and I still puked into the garbage can.  They gave me another type of medicine to stop the nausea, and covered me with at least 5 heated blankets.  I was so cold.  I couldn't stop shivering or whimpering.  

I can't remember when I finally fell asleep. I don't know how long I was in the ER.  I don't remember going back to the condo.  I don't remember getting into bed, and I don't remember anything else about that day.  My mom said I called her Sunday afternoon but I don't remember that either.  

Pathetic, truly pathetic.

I woke up this morning with a headache.  The dizziness was gone and my ears were unplugged;  I could handle the headache.

It looks like I'll be searching for a doctor...one who will tell me he or she knows how to fix my head...because this business of ending up in the ER?  It's not on my top ten list.

Stay tuned...results for the Carmel Apple Cider giveaway will be posted on Wednesday!


18 comments:

Tortuga said...

Oh my goodness. Please, please take care of yourself. I will be praying for you.

Kristin said...

Oh my goodness, that's awful! I'm glad you're feeling better today and hope that you can find a dr. soon who can help you.

Cheeseboy said...

Holy crap!!! That is the strangest thing. Insane. I hope all is well with your head and it was a one time thing. They never did tell you what it could be, eh?

Baby Sister said...

I don't know why that made me cry, but it did. I didn't think I would, so I read it to Boyfriend...little did I know.
I will be forever grateful that you have Jason to take care of you during moments like this.

Elizabeth said...

I'm so sorry! Lots of your symptoms overlap with migraines (which I get frequently and really hate). I'm new here, so I don't know much about your battle with this, but perhaps you are having migraine troubles? I hope you can find a good doctor and get the help you need.

xo -El

Heather said...

That is terrible.
I hope you are feeling better today.
Yeah for Jason. I not sure my husband wouldn't have abandoned me in times of puke.
:)

Dominguez Family said...

Yeah, I'd put finding a good ENT at the top of your to do list. You'd think if something was popping or shifting they could pull it out or tape it to your head. :-) Let me know if I can do anything for you...besides listen to you complain. LOL

Dazee Dreamer said...

you poor thing. I am so sorry. I do think you need to find a good doctor to help get you through this. cyber hug (sqeeze)

Bossy Betty said...

So sorry to hear this! Hope you feel better soon!

Cassie said...

Noelle this is out of hand truelly you have been dealing with this way to long. Have you had an MRI? This might be a good idea, I know you have already seen and ENT right? Let me know what you find out, I'm worried! Cassie

jayayceeblog said...

Oh, God bless your heart. Sounds truly awful. Hope you figure out a way to combat the vertigo soon!

Jessica said...

Oh Noelle, that's awful! I didn't know vertigo did all that. What a wonderful husband and a wise mother you have.

Tiffany said...

Good health is something I take for granted until someone I care about isn't feeling well. I hope you are feeling a lot better today Noelle. And hooray for good men who aren't afraid of a little barf. I sure hope you're able to find some answers and some help soon. Big squeeze from me.

Amy said...

Good grief my dear. This is horrible. So so horrible. I'm sorry for you - and all of us who worry about you. Please tell us good news soon! In the mean time you're in our prayers.

Christina said...

Oh no. :( I hope your okay, please go see someone!!

Lalis said...

High five! Sounds like my life! Except I get migraines. I swear they're from Hades. Now I take Cymbalta (an antidepressant) and Topamax (an anticonvulsant) to prevent them. The side-effects suck, but not as much as four-day migraines that land me at the ER.

Take lots and lots of care, Noelle! I know how much that sucks. Thank goodness for people who take care of you.

A girl needs 2 Talk said...

I'm so sorry, Noelle. I can't believe this. Poor you. Are you better now? I'm sad. I'm sending you prayers.

I'm so grateful for Jason in your life. That man is gold. Bless his heart!

You- eat. drink. rest. take the week off. see a doctor.

Jami said...

Oh my goodness. I am so sorry! I thought you were going to end the post with some joke, but this is no good. I hope you find what you need and take care. :)