Monday, October 4, 2010

Sometimes I Sleep On The Couch

...because even with 7 months of marriage under my belt, I'm still not used to sharing a bed with someone.

When Jason is awake I try to reason with him.  "It's a king size mattress honey; all I want is my fair share of it."  He concedes sometimes and moves over an inch or two...until he's asleep, and then as if by some unspoken law, he's back on my side of the bed...with me hugging the edge.  And if I happen to roll to my right side there he is, in my face, breathing heavily and sleeping peacefully. 

Jason has a cold and didn't sleep very well last night.  He tossed and turned and coughed and kicked the covers off, and then pulled them back up, just to kick them off again...and with every toss and turn and cough and kick I was awake...because very sadly, I'm not a heavy sleeper, and even the slightest noise or movement wakes me up.

By 5:00 this morning Jason was finally sleeping soundly and so I took my pillow and went downstairs to the couch, where I slept peacefully and uninterrupted until 8:00, when the construction workers outside woke me up.

I went to check on my sick husband at 8:00 this morning, and he said he wasn't as sick as he thought he would be.  I asked him if he wanted me to get him some cold medicine and he said yes. 

We barely have headache medicine in our house and so I ventured out with my still wet hair to find some cold medicine.  Lucky for me that Becca's house is closer than the drug store and even luckier for me that Becca's house might as well be a drug store.  I found some cold medicine in her medicine cupboard, and helped myself to a glass of orange juice (somehow the orange juice at her house just tastes better), and then as I was walking towards the front door I noticed something...

...a pillow and a blanket on the couch...

Sometimes Becca sleeps on the couch too, and she has her bed all to herself.

Maybe it's genetics...

(Becca, can I borrow some cold medicine?)

17 comments:

Baby Sister said...

Maybe it's a triplet thing. :) Although I'm sure if Jared ever sleeps on the couch it's just cause he's in trouble. ;)

Kristin said...

You sound like my boyfriend! Only difference if I'm the light sleeper. I also take up most of the bed. :) Now he works graveyard so I get the bed all to myself 5 nights a week, but of course this makes the weekends a little more challenging! LOL

Hope your hubby feels better soon

Amy said...

Oh sweet Becca. I love her.

And you.

RayRay said...

oh girl... sounds like we both are having issues with not sleeping at night. :) But don't feel bad for me, I know it won't be this tragic forever. But let's be honest, sad stories give you so much material to work with. There is some beauty in sadness. It keeps me real.

love you too. Sorry I missed your birthday. I really am a horrible friend.

Julie said...

I am the lightest sleeper plus I can see light through my eye lids so once it's light outside we either had better of shut the shade or I'm up.
Plus we have a queen bed and my side is just better then his, or at least it has to be because he's on mine more then his, that is unless I just get up and move to his side then his is better. :o)
Just the man thing I think.
Thanks for stopping by, I so do appreciate your insight and comments.
Take care and have a blessed day.

Dazee Dreamer said...

I'd be making him sleep on the couch. But you are way too nice. You deserve the big king size bed all to yourself sometimes too.

Sam said...

Hi.

I love your posts. Seriously. One day this week I'm going to demand all my followers to follow you. Or, no, I'm going to tell them to come here. And that will be enough said.

You could seriously talk about chicken soup and make it interesting and funny and something people want to read.

Super duper thankful that you were one of the first blogs I ever followed! :)

KelleeLyn said...

I sleep on the couch a lot because my husband kicks, punches and flails enough that I wake up in pain and with bruises. It's not a pretty sight. Prolly due to the fact that we have a DOUBLE. Ugh. He also blames it on sleeping in a sleeping bag for a year in Afghanistan...riiiiiiight :-P

I'm a fairly new follower! Love your blog.

www.youplusmeeuqalswii.blogspot.com

Heather said...

That was nice of you to give up so your sick hubby could sleep.
Having relatives closer than the drugstore is NICE!!

(The Coach sleeps with his ipod on to drown out the sound of my snoring.)

A girl needs 2 Talk said...

You barged in Becca's house! Thief! Thief! What happened to the room-mate? I'm glad she didn't make today awkward!!

I want your couch. My couch gives me a backache. :(

(This post made me laugh!!!)

Jessica said...

I like my bed at night, but I prefer napping on the couch. And learning to share a bed is tough!

Cheeseboy said...

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I have been married almost 12 years and I still sometimes sleep on the couch. 90% of the time it is because my wife is sick. The other 10%... well...

jayayceeblog said...

Girlfriend, it can only get worse as your hormones do those lovely menopausal things to your body. We have a King size bed, too, and hugging the edge on my side is usually my way of trying to stay cool after one of those nightly hot flashes. Hope his cold gets better fast. We swear by those little packets of EmergenC that you mix up with a little cold water. Blasts your body with 1,000 milligrams of Vitamin C and works great, especially if you feel like a cold is coming on.

Jami said...

This light sleeping thing could be a real blessing someday if you have little Jasons. I always rested better knowing that if they coughed or sputtered, I'd hear it, then again, if you are hearing it, you aren't sleeping are you?

wjmom said...

This is my own post fodder! Thanks for the inspiration!

Judie said...

When I get REALLY tired, I snore. Rod can't sleep in the guest room because our son Keil is there now. We bought a twin bed for my art studio, so Rod would have a place to escape to. He slept there last night. We were both up at 4:45 this morning, because 1. Keil leaves for work then, so he woke Rod, who was sleeping next door to him, and 2. Precious was screaming her brains out for me to put her back on the bed with me. We've been up ever since!!

Venassa said...

I sleep on the couch sometimes, just because I like the change, or sometimes because I can't fall asleep in my bed.