Thursday, October 7, 2010

Thinking of a Title is the Hardest Part of Blogging

Jason's birthday is Monday. 
He'll be the big 4-0!
Last night when he got home from playing basketball it took him 7 minutes to get upstairs.
(I might or might not be exaggerating.)
As he got ready for bed he winced and hobbled and moaned a few times.
I suggested that maybe it was time to retire from basketball.
He didn't like my suggestion.
I made up for my lousy suggestion by telling him what we're going to do for his birthday.

It was supposed to be a surprise.
I'm even more lousy with surprises than I am with suggestions.
But here's the thing...
In order for the surprise to work, I need his help.
And I couldn't ask for his help without telling him what is going on.

My uncle has graciously given me the keys to his cabin.
His cabin that I'm sure I could never find on my own.
It's not an iPad, but it's something right?
A romantic weekend with your wife?
Isn't that something?

We can't stay the whole weekend though.
I've a serious task I have to prepare for.
A very serious task.
A very serious task that I'm not sure I'm up for.

(And if you were sitting next to me you would hear me whimpering.)

Do you remember once upon a time when I was asked to work with the young girls in my church?
...you know, be there to love and to support and to teach and to guide...
I've been there, doing that for several months now.  Remember when I even went to girls camp with them?
Isn't that enough?  Isn't remembering their birthdays and baking them goodies and being friends with them on Facebook enough?
Apparently it's not.
Not at all.
Because now, NOW, I get the amazing opportunity of teaching them this Sunday (them = twenty something girls between the ages of 12 and 18) the importance of 'waiting' until marriage.  I get to help them understand why it's important to stay morally pure, in a world that doesn't seem to place much importance on that.

You're jealous aren't you.

While you're being jealous, if you have any words of wisdom for me, please feel free to share!
...unless you don't think it's important to stay morally pure, and it that case, your words of wisdom probably won't help my cause...

I think that's all I've got for now.  Looks like it's back out into the rain for me. 
We'll have guests for tomorrow's Crayola Goodness post - play nice.
Oh...and one more little thing...to Natalie's sister...who's email I couldn't find and who's blog I couldn't access...thanks!!!  I'm glad you are here!

17 comments:

Baby Sister said...

I feel like I'M getting too old...I don't even want to know how Jason feels...poor him.
(I say that with all the love in my heart)

Kristin said...

Oh lady I do not envy you at all! Although I do remember in my church youth group, that we all got so excited when the topic was SEX! LOL

BTW, I'm only 33 and I moan and groan just getting out of bed in the morning!!!

Heather said...

At least it isn't a mixed group you are going to speak too. You'll do great and they will love hearing from you.

Beth Zimmerman said...

A romantic weekend with the beloved wife is definitely something! From the male viewpoint it might even be better than an IPad! Maybe!

Praying blessings on your teaching session! Just share your heat, sweet girl! Here are a couple of techniques that I've seen used to explain that topic ....

1.) Bring a fresh rose (or other flower) to class and allow it to be passed around, touched, etc. after displaying it. The end product is a far less lovely rose! Not sure if your class is large enough for this one to work right.

2.) Construction paper and glue. Take 2 pieces of construction paper (different colors) and glue them together (sexual intimacy), allow them to set and then try to pull them apart. Both pieces of paper are damaged.

I would experiment before using either of these in class.

Wishing you well!

Beth

Brynn said...

Our ward had the Bishop do it. You are getting ripped off. Good luck though.

Jami said...

I've talked to girls before and then I always end up thinking "gee that sounded dorky, or gee that was so boring, or gee, I am preachy!" You get the point. It's not my strongest skill, but I'm sure you'll do fine.

Happy 40th, Jason!

Dazee Dreamer said...

gosh, could i come down and help with your lesson. kidding.

I always hated that lesson when they would preach you were going to hell because of your great sin. PLease let them know that they should wait for marriage because there is a huge committment with the act that girls feel emotionally tied to the guy, but guys don't feel that way. And also, that if they so happen to not wait, that it isn't going to be the end of the world, and heavenly father is still going to love them.

Judy said...

I think it's important to play off the group...if they want to ask questions, answer them to the best of your ability with honesty and sincerity. Talk about the blessings of waiting just as much as the bad consequences of not waiting...sometimes we forget the good side and focus too much on the bad.

Good luck! I still remember that lesson from YW more than any other lesson I had :)

Judie said...

I had rather teach that than confirmation classes to 6th graders!! I did that for years, and I think that 6th grade is way too young for confirmation! Their favorite pastime was throwing wet floral foam all over the sanctuary!!

Hope you have a wonderful time at the cabin, if you can find it, that is!!

Sugar Beet said...

one of the lessons about that that stuck out in my mind was likining sex to driving and how marriage was your driving licence..

TJ said...

just a thought: some of these girls may have already done a few things, and the last thing you want to load on them is a guilt trip. i don't like the rose suggestion above, only because it doesn't take into account repentance. maybe also include talking about how we are supposed to have those feelings and emotions. and that they are good things!! just to not act upon them until it's the right place, right time. for so many, it's hard to say YES after a fifteen minute ceremony after years of it being pounded into them how BAD
it is and to say no!!!! anyway, those are my thoughts. and encourage questions!! i never felt like i could talk about it, mostly because my mom would refuse. which is totally ridiculous. ok, done now. and i remember when jason was in HS. on the basketball team. and when he went on a mission. crazy to realize that he is 40!! happy birthday cousin!!

Lalis said...

I'm with TJ above! Our Mormon Culture (not our Religion) tends to live in a guilty realm. Emphasize repentance (though not premeditated repentance). Perhaps try to find some of Sheri Dew's (did I spell that right?) thoughts on the matter--She is, after all, single!! I got to go to a marriage prep class taught by hear and Sis. Nelson and, WOW! Getting THEIR perspective (one who has been single her whole life, the other who didn't marry until much older) was very eye-opening.
Also, I think you're very charismatic and you'll get the girls attention. Just pray to have the Spirit and he'll do the teaching ;)
PS - I haven't been able to post in a looooong time. I'm going through the worst blogging withdrawals. My life is so busy :P

Amy said...

Can I come? Good luck with that!

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

Ask me about the cake demonstrationthat I did for my class on the same subject. It was a hit!

A girl needs 2 Talk said...

I can't believe you told him!!!! Haha! and I thought I couldn't keep a surprise!

You're on facebook? Oooh la la! for the girls??!! You're nice! :D :D I wish I was there listening to you talk! Mormonism part 102? I'm ready to listen!

Jessica said...

My Gomez just turned 40 last Saturday.
Man he's OLD! eeeewwww!

girls camp .. aaahhh the memories. Can't believe you agreed to do it! LOL

jayayceeblog said...

I got nothin. But I can't wait to hear how it went. You are going to tell us, aren't you?